Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Burning  (Read 11785 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Book Burning
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:32:05 pm »

What a topsy turvy world we live in.  Seems a lot of people on the left are up in arms because a minister somewhere wants to burn the quran.  I haven't read much beyond the headlines, but I presume this preacher is a right wing nutjob.

But aren't the roles reversed here?  We've had these fights before, but when it's the American flag in question it's the right that is all up in arms and the left that stands in defense of their rights.

So is the left anti flag burning now?  Or does this just apply to the Quran?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 04:51:23 pm »

I think that the more responsible voices on the left have said of flag burning:

"it's a potentially offensive gesture that you probably shouldn't do but that doesn't mean there should be a law against it".

Which, oddly, is the centre-right position on the building giant city blocks away from the WTC site that plans to have a little Islamic prayer room in it.

I don't think anyone's saying that there needs to be a law against burning the Quran, nobody sane anyway.

They're just saying the dude's an asshole and being needlessly dickish in a tense time.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 05:19:07 pm »

The other difference is we talking about our own stuff in that scenario. Is it legal? for an American to burn an American flag? Hell yes. It's both protected speech and a strong form of protest. Is it a good idea? Depending on when and where the answer is anywhere from "maybe not" to "absolutely."

Is it legal for an American to burn somebody else's flag? Yes, see above. Is it a good idea? Almost certainly not because it's likely to stir some serious shit. Unless it's like a Nazi flag.

Imagine how different this conversation would be if this preacher guy was burning a bible.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 05:25:33 pm »

Imagine how different this conversation would be if this preacher guy was burning a bible.

Well that's my point exactly.  If it were a bible or the flag that was being burned it would be the right up in arms and the left would be out to defend the burners.  But the roles have reversed in this case.

I burned a bible once.  I'm unapologetic.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 05:29:44 pm »

I'm a dickhead for freedom. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:30:09 pm »

Well that's my point exactly.  If it were a bible or the flag that was being burned it would be the right up in arms and the left would be out to defend the burners.  But the roles have reversed in this case.

I burned a bible once.  I'm unapologetic.

I also think this would be a different conversation if it were a muslim burning a quaran. Because it's his own stuff.

I think this guy has a right to hold the burning but I also think they media has the right to completely ignore him and effectively remove all impact from the event.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:35:24 pm »

Well I did take pictures and post them on the internet, but I didn't do the actual thing in front of a temple or anything like that.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:39:50 pm »

I think this guy has a right to hold the burning but I also think they media has the right to completely ignore him and effectively remove all impact from the event.

The media is going to cover it because it's interesting.  But what I found interesting is the hypocrisy I'm seeing by the left on this issue.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 05:53:44 pm »

Is it really hypocrisy, though? As far as I know, no one is trying to pass a constitutional amendment banning Koran burning.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 05:58:39 pm »

That's just their anti-domestic/pro-international agenda overriding their common sense.

Yeah, that sounds about right, actually.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 06:18:08 pm »

there's plenty of domestic muslims who are kind of peeved at this whole thing. far as i can tell, the outrage is based on some combination of fear of retribution by pissed-off muslims and pure shock at the tactics we thought our nation had evolved past. ain't no peace gonna come from this symbol, this burning won't stoke anything but trouble. it just seems to me to be simple-minded fearmongering, a tactic used by the losing side of pretty much every battle in the long war between equality and prejudice.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 06:27:03 pm »

Let's also not overlook the significance of the Quran to Muslims. The written word of Allah is much more important in Islam than it is in Christianity or Judaism.

This is less like burning a Bible in front of a church and more like burning a tray of blessed communion wafers in front of a cathedral.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 07:08:43 pm »

sensitivity doesn't enter into it. it's their reverence. it's like tearing down a crucifix and shitting in jesus's mouth. spraypainting a hundred swastikas on the wailing wall. grilling up a bunch of steaks next to the ganges.

it isn't like putting a gas tank and match to a pile of harry potter paperbacks. i agree there shouldn't be a law against it, but i also doubt there's going to be any fallout from this stunt that's positive in the least.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 07:56:24 pm »

for pete's sake, ash, pack your vitriol away. we agree.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:56 pm »

I don't think anyone's saying that there ought to be a law against Quran burning. Not here, at least.

Though now I kind of wish someone would, just so Ash has someone to take out his frustration on today.

That reminds me -- anyone seen Fanta today?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up