Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Burning  (Read 11808 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 08:16:33 pm »

you know when i see all caps 'you can fuck off' it just kind of triggers my cool-shit-down reflexes
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 10:01:26 pm »

I basically don't want to engage this issue with anyone, but all I have to say about it is: lets just redirect all the New York flights to Florida, ok? thanx.
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 10:31:31 pm »

This country has a goodly share of fucked up racist homophobic Muslim hating assholes.  And I will fight to the death to defend their right to spew fucked up racist homophobic Muslim hating shit into the world.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 11:04:26 pm »

And I will fight to the death to defend their right to spew fucked up racist homophobic Muslim hating shit into the world.

Me too.  And I will also continue to exercise my right to tell them I think they're assholes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 11:15:14 pm »

Yeah the shit flinging goes both ways on this one. I'm just unclear what the objective of the book burner is other than trolling.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 11:17:54 pm »

More disagreements should be resolved with arson.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 01:10:16 am »

Yeah the shit flinging goes both ways on this one. I'm just unclear what the objective of the book burner is other than trolling.

that asshole thinks his cockheadedness isnt as bad as what he percieves to be cockheadedness from those other guys.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 01:45:28 am »

I burned a bible once.  I'm unapologetic.

Ha ha, a Mormon bible. I remember when you posted that. You should burn another one this Saturday in commemoration of the Mountain Meadows Massacre.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 02:38:02 am »

I still think that my tendency to shift bibles into the "religious fiction" section when I am bored in a bookstore has an altogether lighter and more whimsical touch.

But that's more an in-joke than protest OR performance art, I s'pose.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 02:42:01 am »

And childish.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 02:54:25 am »

Color me unsurprised.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 03:01:49 am »

Ha ha, a Mormon bible. I remember when you posted that. You should burn another one this Saturday in commemoration of the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

Good times!  Did you read that article?  It was written from a pro LDS point of view and defended the killers.

Yeah, that was a Mormon Bible which is the only thing that saved me from my Mother's wrath.  Ha ha ha...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 03:23:23 am »

Good times!  Did you read that article?  It was written from a pro LDS point of view and defended the killers.

Yeah, that was a Mormon Bible which is the only thing that saved me from my Mother's wrath.  Ha ha ha...

Remember when you were burning mormon bibles? Old knucklehead times, man.

You know, I didn't read beyond the first couple paragraphs, but I don't quite agree with your assessment after reading the whole thing.

Quote
While the Mormons were heavily persecuted, driven from their homes, and killed en masse several times, their persecution did not justify the killings at Mountain Meadows.

And more to the point:

Quote
Evidence suggests that church president Brigham Young was not responsible or even aware of the Mountain Meadows Massacre before it happened. Assuming this is true, and there's no strong evidence to the contrary, one can safely say that responsibility for the massacre rests with local Mormons, not the church itself.

But yeah, definitely a pro-Mormon take on it. I'm not too current on the research, but my understanding is that at best (or worst), the question of LDS leadership complicity in planning it is up in the air, and probably always will be. From what I do understand, there was at least a Nixonian cover-up that may have gone all the way up the chain of command. There are a few well-regarded books on the subject that are on my reading list after, well, more enjoyable stuff.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 03:48:34 am »

Oh yeah, they put a few disclaimers in there, but they went to great pains to paint a sympathetic view of the Mormons as being a persecuted people chased across the country by fearful Mormon haters.  and ol' Joe Smith was falsely accused and imprisoned.  They even "tarred and weathered" him then killed him along with his brother.

So of course they had to massacre them as they were trying to leave the area.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up