Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Burning  (Read 11819 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 12:29:36 am »

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=129636299

I like Geoff Nunberg, even though he never sent me comments on my paper that I was really proud of. (for his class. I am not some nutjob who sent him a random paper.)

Also he was a HUGE name-dropper. I had never known that people did this for real.

But basically this is what I think about "sensitivity."

also, in re: ash's comment about liberals having a "pro-international/anti-domestic bias," I realized this is maybe true of me, for the same reason I have higher standards for myself than I have for other people. WE'RE AMERICA, DAMNIT. DIDN'T YOUR FOUNDING FATHER RAISE YOU BETTER THAN THIS?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 12:50:04 am »

also, in re: ash's comment about liberals having a "pro-international/anti-domestic bias," I realized this is maybe true of me, for the same reason I have higher standards for myself than I have for other people. WE'RE AMERICA, DAMNIT. DIDN'T YOUR FOUNDING FATHER RAISE YOU BETTER THAN THIS?

This.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2010, 01:20:20 am »

Quote from: theinevitable
Also he was a HUGE name-dropper. I had never known that people did this for real.

Actually, come to think of it, the one professor I had at Syracuse who did the talking-head thing on cable shows was also the worst name dropper I have ever met.

And the most insecure human being alive.

Much worse than even the four or five years of, like, running with people trying to get into the entertainment industry who you would think would be like that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2010, 04:05:21 am »

was also the worst name dropper I have ever met.

I assume you mean something like he dropped names so often that it was really obnoxious, but I like the idea of someone being, like, really bad at name-dropping.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2010, 04:46:48 am »

Obnoxious.

Like telling us that he was buddies with the producers of a show and then showing a clip where a minor character was named after him.

Just... opening a lecture with that.

Not even in the first lecture, to break the ice and then be self-depricating.

Opened a random lecture with it. You wanted to just squeeze him and see if vinegar and water shot out.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2010, 04:50:11 am »

Nice signature. That song is so fuck*ng good. I get to see Built to Spill for the second time this summer a week from tomorrow. It never gets old.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2010, 06:25:19 am »

If the pastor and the imam have a press conference and just start making out, that'd be wonderful.

I propose sloppy make outs to replace book burning as the international sign of protest.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2010, 12:57:52 pm »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2010, 07:51:01 pm »

http://www.slate.com/id/2266870/

Interesting take on the whole thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2010, 03:05:53 am »

Nice signature. That song is so fuck*ng good. I get to see Built to Spill for the second time this summer a week from tomorrow. It never gets old.
They're playing in PDX again in November. I haven't decided yet. Fantastic show ,though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2010, 02:43:54 pm »

If I find like really cheap airfare I may go to that one, too. That, or the next week in Seattle. I like the venue in Seattle a lot better.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2010, 06:09:32 pm »

Well the book burning was canceled so we all fell for this lunatic's self publicity stunt.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2010, 08:32:41 pm »

Never before had I thought that we could label someone "the Lady Gaga of extremist Christian fundamentalists" but, goddamnit, we got ourselves a winner in Terry Jones.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2010, 12:57:10 am »

Quote
Absolutely. But when other countries are used as exemplars instead of the history and foundation of this particularly unique nation I leave the room. I don't think America needs to cast its eyes outward for a model so much as look inward and rediscover its soul.
Gosh, you sound awfully sensitive.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2010, 02:42:29 am »

Why? You volunteeering to suck my cock 'till I feel all better? Because I think that might help me bring me a little more in touch with my feelings.
Pot or dxm works too
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up