Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Burning  (Read 11856 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2010, 03:18:24 am »

Pot or dxm works too

DXM, ugh.  I haven't even thought about robo-tripping in years.

I'll just rub some DMSO on it and walk it off.

*sniff*

You have to have LSD in the DMSO to get the proper effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DaZacuYUDE
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2010, 04:22:05 am »

not on the sofa, fellas
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2010, 01:26:34 pm »

Absolutely. But when other countries are used as exemplars instead of the history and foundation of this particularly unique nation I leave the room. I don't think America needs to cast its eyes outward for a model so much as look inward and rediscover its soul.



Friend, point me to the period in time of american history when there was this Glenn Beckian utopian expression of its soul? I keep hearing this language from Glenn Beck, but its never clear what we're "returning to" in his mind
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2010, 01:46:04 pm »

Probably when we threw off the chains of royal oppression across the sea, that we might be ruled by...

Our own locally-grown white male Protestant middle-aged landed gentry?

Probably when we pulled together as a country regardless of class race and gender to defeat the Nazis...

While throwing our own Japanese into prison camps and, afterwards, trying our damnedest to put women's and minority rights back into the Pandora's Box from whence they came?

Probably when we stood as one, in the face of the 9-11 tragedy...

And went shopping for bumper magnets while drone planes killed hoardes of dusky civilians that had nothing to do with it?

Yikes. The Money Spider and myself totally agreeing, if for different reasons perhaps.

EDIT:

Christ, that was horribly fuck*ng glib.

I think what I would mean to say is that... America's soul is in looking forward, not looking inward.

Our nation has been the least-bad in a world of horrible places not because we have had some kind of internal perfection but because we, much of the time anyway when the priests and the moneychangers did not rule so very much, kept striving forward toward the good and the better, kept trying to be better to each other.

Our soul is on the receding horizon of our understanding of how humans are supposed to treat each other and the pursuit of that ever distant goal.

Or at least it was. Fuck, I don't know.

If we're pretending to take people like Sarah Palin seriously, maybe we're lost.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 01:53:30 pm by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2010, 04:27:38 pm »

Personally the idea of returning to America's past does not appeal to me. The past when people owned slaves? The past when women couldn't vote? The past when blacks had to drink from separate water fountains? I think we can do better than America's past.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2010, 04:35:57 pm »

I kind of enjoyed the 90s.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2010, 04:51:01 pm »

Quote from: miles
I kind of enjoyed the 90s.

That was a show on VH1, right?

Starring Michael Ian Black and graphics.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2010, 06:42:27 pm »

wait, why didn't a democrat run on the slogan "I kind of enjoyed the 90s."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2010, 08:38:31 pm »

Prob'ly because a historical revisionist would somehow say all that was right about the '90s was caused by Reagan cutting the middle classes' throats by cutting the taxes for the rich or, to a lesser extent, Bush the Elder fixing the economy with some kind of Skull and Bones incantation.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2010, 09:54:53 pm »

W. was in the stands at the Yanks Rangers game yesterday, I guess some nine eleven tribute or something and he looked awful.  Nasty skin wrinkled, death 11 on the neck (wildly appropriate), and a gray mustache so wispy a spider covets.  I almost barfed.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2010, 12:06:51 am »

Friend, do not ever again tie me or my sentiments in a sentence to Glenn Beck.

ALSO: You all missed the fuck*ng boat, idjits. I didn't mention shit about the past. I am about doing something new, that'sd every move is a new tradition.

Can we steal ideas from other places? Hell yeah. But the application of those ideas can be tempered by our extant American institutions, a new synthesis following the framework of our traditions rather than a tearing down or replacement with the thought and models of others.

Look boldly to the future and lead, not follow.

LOeave the cowards to eaten as carrion by the crows of history.
This message brought to you by our proud sponsors at Canadian Mist.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2010, 01:51:41 am »

It is a lot easier to "move into the future" if you are not stupidly resistant to doing things that already seem to work.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2010, 02:41:46 am »

I keep hearing this language from Glenn Beck, but its never clear what we're "returning to" in his mind

This is because Glenn Beck knows that the more general he is, the more people will agree with him and watch his show, and thus the more money he can get paid.

Gathering up the dissatisfied and reassuring them that their problems are, in fact, the fault of someone else who they know nothing about... it's been done before, because it works.  The good thing is it only works if no one remembers that it worked before.  The bad thing is not enough people remember it working before right now.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up