Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Chilling songs, but not to chill with  (Read 5382 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:48:40 pm »

In the spirit of my way-old favorites topic, I had an idea:

What are some songs that make chills go up and down your spine, so to speak? For me, a quick set of five(+), from my formative years:

  • Aretha Franklin: I Say a Little Prayer. When the song goes into the chorus and she's calling back to the line (together/forever), it's a little wrenching for me - especially toward the end, when she's really belting it out. I think maybe it's the weird juxtaposition of it being this Burt Bachrach song that I heard as a kid - kind of making it sort of an easy-listening favorite, with the fact that she's just got such a soulful expressive voice (and the fact that most of her songs are so sad to me). It helps that the song makes me think of my wife. Little Prayer YouTube, so you can listen. The video part here is stupid, but it's what's easily available.
  • Jimi Hendrix: Bold as Love, but mainly Little Wing. Obviously Jimi made his bones on the guitar, and the work here is moving, but he also could write some evocative lyrics. I don't really know much about the music stuff, but I think there's minor stuff going on in there and of course that's going to have an effect. Bold YT, Wing YT, Wing live YT.
  • Led Zeppelin: The Immigrant Song. Not as big a deal to me anymore, but I'm guessing I was probably five years old the first time I heard it, and Robert Plant's yowling of the open bits was frankly terrifying. Immigrant YT.
  • Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath. Same sort of thing as Immigrant Song. Just an unrelenting horror-movie soundtrack song, and the album cover is still disturbing to me. Absurdly simple song, but very effective. When Ozzy shrieks "Oh Noooooo" he really sells it - and as a kid, I did believe he was pretty much damned to hell, so I was buying it. Black Sabbath YT (this one is actually sorta fun, you can clearly see Tony's prosthetics - studio, but not the album track).
  • The Rolling Stones: Gimme Shelter. Pretty much 100% based on Merry Clayton's repeated "Rape . . . Murder" - especially when her voice cracks the third time. Just thinking about it right now is making me shiver. There may be people out there who are unaffected by this, but I don't understand how. This song feels like the epitaph for my birth decade to me. (Honorable Mention to Sister Morphine, which is just not a very fun song.) Shelter YT, with shivers occurring around 3:20, Shelter live YT, supposedly with audio from Altamont, Morphine YT.

Eh, anyway, I'd been thinking about making a post something like this for a long while - off and on since that first favorites post. So here goes - any responses? Paul?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:16:09 am »

Uh yeah, I can think of a few...

I have a similar feeling about Whole Lot of Love.  It doesn't affect me this way anymore, but the first time I heard the complete version at the age of 10-11 with the freakout middle section of cymbals, sirens, theremin, ah ah ah ahhhhhhhhhh, that really fucked me up.  You see, I had heard the song before quite a few times, but not the entire thing.  The original single was a shortened version that cut out the middle section.  so not only was it crazy it was totally unexpected.  I thought the rapture was about to take place.

Riders on the storm.  That song was a bit hit on the radio when I was 7 years old.  I clearly remember hearing this song while sitting in the back seat of the car in the grocery store parking lot at night while my mother was inside shopping.  That was scary.

Revolution No. 9 is pretty creepy.  I guess I've been hearing that "song" since it first came out when I was 4 years old. 


Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:22:36 am »

Aretha Franklin: I Say a Little Prayer.

That made me think of this (jump to :45).  I heard this again a few years ago and it brought those chills right back from 1973.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:25:41 am »


(Honorable Mention to Sister Morphine, which is just not a very fun song.) Shelter YT, with shivers occurring around 3:20, Shelter live YT, supposedly with audio from Altamont, Morphine YT.[/li][/list]


I put this song on a mixdisc for the truck a couple weeks ago.  I'd never really listened to it, you know?  Whoa.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:37:46 am »

When I was little, "All Night Long" by Lionel Richie would creep me out whenever it came on the radio.

The Wikipedia article for "All Night Long" contains this vital piece of information: "According to an episode of Reading Rainbow in which Richie guest-starred, the song's theme is about a party that lasts all night long."
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 05:01:56 am »

Forgive some of the videos, they're not all official or... fortunate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I57Voojyao - Gabriel/Fripp "Here Comes The Flood"... kinda about the end of the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCNp1WDM4Q - Ben Folds Five "Lullabye"... kinda full of whhhhhhist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBFGlmUt_U - Elliott Smith "A Distorted Reality's Now A Necessity to Be Free"... kinda about the end of the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-URifHF7_fs - Smasihng Pumpkins, "For Martha"... kinda about mourning, kinda epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds9JN1XaBRA - Roger Waters "Amused to Death"... kinda about the end of the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxDT7gHLy1E - Hayden "Skates"... kinda about the depths of mourning. Story song.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:00:39 pm »

I could have probably added every Elliot Smith song I have ever heard. I'm not sure if it's all because of his songwriting. I gotta figure my brain includes his story every time I hear him sing. I thought about Ben Folds - and with him it's sort of even more jarring because he's almost Weezerlike in his poppishness. I could have done a few Stevie Wonder songs, too. Smashing Pumpkins . . . I get distracted by Corgan's voice, a little.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 02:29:57 pm »

Seriously? No love for "No More Tears?" (The video is lame, sorry.)

Also, the full version of "Nights in White Satin." There was a local radio station that used to regularly play the extended version, but only after 9 PM. During the day they played the normal, truncated version. If you know the song but have never heard (or don't remember) the extended version, skip to 5:45.

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 03:24:30 pm »

chicago-sufjan stevens (breathtaking)
creep-radiohead
diamonds and pearls-prince
my hero-foo fighters
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 03:31:42 pm by greenkoolayd »
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 05:10:22 pm »

Quote from: jay-ell
Nights in White Satin

During the spoken word part, I like to imagine the intro to Star Trek instead.

Same rhythm but the Star Trek words.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 05:33:21 pm »

The stark white bleakness of a post clear-cut northern wisconsin.  In the winter,
the cold will murder your family as you lay in your bed dreaming of permanence.
In the summer, the land itself radiates loneliness causing a yearning for the winter
deep inside your soul.

As translated by an angry young man from the center of politics in our nation of
lost idealism and dreams.  A young man who later grows up to become the one
thing most cherished in our culture, a father.  a Father of a Son.  A Father of a Son
who is slowly dying before his eyes, and all he is left with is blind hope and the
pressing importance of now.

hey, angel?
fly over. and bless me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap3L_NCZk4s



Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 05:43:33 pm »

Quote from: Nabubrush
Smashing Pumpkins . . . I get distracted by Corgan's voice, a little.

Remember, I'm the dude who is still able to forgive Axl Rose's voice. These things seem to not bother me. bwahaha.

Ben Folds' descent into poppiness isn't on a scale with Weezer, I think, because he hasn't descended into "whatever's popular right now" pop.

Mostly schmaltzy classic rock ballad pop. But yeah, every album and the good-bad ratio drops a little bit, for sure.

The collapse of Weezer will confound us all, forever.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 05:51:33 pm »

I almost tossed in a couple Foo Fighters, too. I've got to say, and apologies to all the Cobain fans, but Dave is sort of gaining on him. I'm continually surprised by how moving his work is. Did anyone else see him play at the White House during McCartney's Gershwin prize deal? That was pretty awesome. All these people coming up, doing more and more dirgelike covers, and then Dave gets up there and just rips through "Band on the Run" - if you don't enjoy Stevie grooving on Dave Grohl bellowing that song at the frickin' White House, well . . . you should check your pulse.

Seriously, if you haven't seen that yet, take five minutes and click the link - I think you will be pleased.



I could have done some Radiohead, too . . . Karma Police, maybe?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 05:51:45 pm »

dear $first love,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDl7Wrsd0qI

end in distortion

edit-

hello,
dreams.

goodbye,
dreams.

hello,
life.

goodbye,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w76_IzLRKkg&feature=related


edit2-
i have no pome,
this song just shoots sparks from my scalp to my soles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_XbYz9J4W0
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:06:32 pm by arkabee »
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 06:28:44 pm »

Quote from: Nabubrush
I could have done some Radiohead, too . . . Karma Police, maybe?

See, I'd go "Airbag" off that album as again it kind of has that apocalyptic thing I'm into.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up