Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you a gambler?  (Read 10180 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 07:50:26 pm »

20 bucks lasts a lot longer at the pinball museum than at any casino.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 08:06:53 pm »

I... think I spent a lot more than that at the Pinball Museum the one time I was in Vegas.

Because I am a huge nerd.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 08:08:20 pm »

I have a story vaguely like Asherdan's.  On my second trip to Vegas, we went to the Rio relatively early Saturday morning in order to meet friends for brunch.  We had some time to kill, so I played some blackjack.  I was betting progressively--$5 first, then every time I won I added $5 to the bet, but if I lost I started back at $5.  (I realize this makes no difference in the long run, but it's fun sometimes.)  At one point I won or pushed on something like 12 hands in a row, so by the end of the session I was up $200.  Combined with the $100 I had won the night before, I was rollin'.  (At this point in my life, $300 was a TREMENDOUS sum of money.)

I also drank a lot of toasted almonds during that session.  When the rest of the crew showed up, I gave my roommate the $100 I owed him (as a $100 bill), and said "No matter what happens the rest of this trip, do NOT give this back to me.  We're even."

After brunch I paid for everyone to go on one of those eight-seat auto-racing games in the arcade where you all race simultaneously, and I proved once and for all that you should not drink and drive.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 08:19:51 pm »

20 bucks lasts a lot longer at the pinball museum than at any casino.

I'd much rather play pinball that gamble.  I'd actually like to visit Vegas again because that's the home of the Pinball Hall of Fame.

Is that where you were Mets?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 08:25:44 pm »

that pinball hall of fame is exactly where i am talking about. fantastic. they also have orange crush in glass bottles in their vending machine. it doesn't get much better.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 08:27:36 pm »

Anything anyone has ever been addicted to, I will get addicted to. It ain't good. I don't like gambling for real money against the house (although I don't have a problem with gambling with friends).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 08:33:28 pm »

The Pinball Hall of Fame is basically the best thing in the world other than ladies.

Holy crap, yes.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 08:41:09 pm »

One of the best times of the year for me is the Annual Arcade Expo.

It's so much fun.  They turn a hotel conference hall into an old school game room just like I remember from the days of my youth.  They turn the lights down low and put up a disco ball and some neon.  Play some old tunes from those times.  I go in there and feel like I'm 16 again. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 08:44:30 pm »

The Pinball Hall of Fame is basically the best thing in the world other than ladies.

Holy crap, yes.

We are just wrapping up a remodel of our basement, converting a big empty cement room into a band room and bar. I want to have a pinball machine in there within 365 days.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 09:01:49 pm »

most towns have companies that rent out games. it's probably not as fiducially responsible but you could swap out rentals every couplefew months.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 09:02:41 pm »

Yeah, if I had Stupid Money, I would definitely own a small arcade of my own.

I've probably posted my wish list somewhere here, over the years, in fact.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 09:22:55 pm »

Y'know, the pinball machine at home always sounds awesome but...you'll get tired of the same game. Your guests and friends won't, so if that's the plan then tally-ho...but...I got tired of mine about the time I started having to replace bumper rubber and bulbs and relays and such. They're not rocket science to work with and maintain but they get to be like having the exact same slice of pizza everytime, y'know.

The pinball machine collectors I know are always buying/selling/trading their machine.  When a machine starts to get boring, trade that sucka for another one.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 09:37:34 pm »

smets if funhouse ain't on your list then your list ain't complete
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 10:01:55 pm »

Funhouse is up there, for sure. My selections would be largely sentimental to my age, though, not just for quality of play.

Twilight Zone pinball, Addams Family pinball, Getaway pinball. Cyclone pinball! Maybe the Mars Attacks-ripoff hybrid pinball-videogame rig for novelty.

Gotta have the four player Simpsons and Ninja Turtles video games, the six player X-Men, the Terminator 2 shooter. A Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga split-box fersure.

Coupla lanes of old school woodball skeeball. Some Fascination or Pokerino rigs would fuck*ng rock, real old old old school boardwalk goodness.

That Slugfest game that was kind of a pitch-and-hit pinball game, that's fuck*ng rad as hell.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 10:09:29 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up