Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.  (Read 7530 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 11:37:26 pm »

You don't really have an AC/DC problem so much as a radio station problem.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 11:40:22 pm »

I'm sick of these stations pandering to construction workers, I'm a fuck*ng doctor for piss sake.

Hey, watch it man. Some of my best friends are construction workers.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 02:59:00 am »

listen to your own damn playlist.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 03:03:01 am »

Dude, I'm prematurely an old fogie (and I pretty much always have been...) and even I don't listen to the radio for music.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 07:47:23 am »

Even the local independent station- which is pretty good- pisses me off.  Unless it is 10-12 Sunday morning:  http://www.route78west.com/rt78w/plist10/plist10.htm
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 08:08:50 am »

Man, I haven't been working Sundays so haven't been listening to that.  Turned one on at that link and found this awesome song:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oyx0oiW-tw

haha

I would listen to that show more but I can't find most of the shit he plays and that causes me to lose my shit, so instead I just pretend these amazing songs don't exist.  If you don't have that problem I recommend this show more than anything if you like Americana/Surf/whatever else he feels like.  Usually based on modal/middle east/eastern european gypsy scales.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:13:50 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 04:47:55 pm »

the independent station here seems to play nothing but folk/bluegrass/blues. once in a while I'll tune in and hear rock music.

there is this one show on sunday afternoons that plays all crazy eastern european folk music. He talks about it like you will know what he is talking about.
I told my friend who is from STL, and she said "oh, that's my dentist."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 04:54:50 pm »

there is this one show on sunday afternoons that plays all crazy eastern european folk music. He talks about it like you will know what he is talking about.
Perhaps he thinks his audience is primarily Bosnian?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 04:59:15 pm »

oh, damn. maybe. yes.

I always forget about that.

WAIT, YOU LIVE HERE.
I'm majorly dropping the ball on the "meeting TOUAMBers who live in STL" thing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 05:55:09 pm »

Perhaps he thinks his audience is primarily Bosnian?

I guess he doesn't want outsiders to listen to his show.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 06:14:33 pm »

I have not listened to the radio on purpose for years. Damn you, iPod!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 06:17:29 pm »

There is a radio show on Sunday mornings on Utica's newstalk AM station that is mostly in Polish. Mixed language talk and music totally in Polish.

Their ads really push that they are longest running Polish language show in America.

Which is weird because, like, my friends of Polish extraction have grandparents that where totally born here in the United States and don't speak much of the language anymore.

Imagining where their demographic is befuddles me. Diversity is awesome but the people of Polish extraction in Utica don't speak Polish anymore so it is weird.

They got a lot of new Bosnians that still mostly speak the mother tongue. Cops suspect they were the ones that broke into our car for my girlfriend's GPS.

Big influx of Nepalese. Either of these languages would make a lot more sense.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 10:16:06 pm »

While you guys make an excellent point, I can assure you, no mix I make will ever have an AC/DC tune.  Sorry, guys.  Sorry about this.

Pretty much every piece of music that I have heard 600 times plus, I can no longer listen to, ever, with the only exceptions being Floyd and the Beatles.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 11:05:51 pm »

While you guys make an excellent point, I can assure you, no mix I make will ever have an AC/DC tune.  Sorry, guys.  Sorry about this.

Pretty much every piece of music that I have heard 600 times plus, I can no longer listen to, ever, with the only exceptions being Floyd and the Beatles.
This, so much. Basically every classic rock song falls into this category for me. Unfortunately this includes Pink Floyd, but I made a special effort to take about a decade and a half off from listening to Led Zeppelin, so I can listen to them again.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I've been a fan all my life but didn't know it 'til now.
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2010, 11:17:05 pm »

Pretty much every piece of music that I have heard 600 times plus, I can no longer listen to, ever, with the only exceptions being Floyd and the Beatles.

I feel pretty much the same way, only replace Pink Floyd with Queen.

I felt that way about Led Zeppelin too until they released How The West Was Won which totally rekindled my love for this band.  So my advice, I guess, is if your classic rock radio station has burned out music that you once liked try to find an alternate recording.  

Damn that Zep Rocks!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up