Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Arby's (pseudo-split)  (Read 14106 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2003, 10:23:15 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Which reminds me, I know Popeye's are rare above the M-D Line but how far west do they reach?


All the way to Santa Monica, baby.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2003, 10:25:53 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I can't think of any franchises that make Texas special, apart from the fact that every month is Truck Month, which surely counts for something in a non-edible way.


Is the Big Texan a franchise?  Or do they only have the one in Amarillo?  I was tempted to try their eat-this-72-ounce-steak-in-less-than-an-hour-and-it's-free deal, except I don't enjoy vomiting.

Someday I'll figure out how to quote multiple posts at the same time.  

CHEAP SHOTS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2003, 10:28:21 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I can't think of any franchises that make Texas special, apart from the fact that every month is Truck Month, which surely counts for something in a non-edible way.


Well, What-A-Burger is a mainly Texas thing, though there are a few outside Texas.  I've taken advantage of their 24 hour service on more than one occasion.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2003, 11:16:01 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Sidenote: Tried one of them new (for Orange Country SoCal) Johnny Reb's and found it to be about as expected; faux southern roadhouse swank done 'lite'.  They do, however, offer sweet-tea.


Thank you for finally clearing that up!
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2003, 12:09:38 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Is the Big Texan a franchise?  Or do they only have the one in Amarillo?  I was tempted to try their eat-this-72-ounce-steak-in-less-than-an-hour-and-it's-free deal, except I don't enjoy vomiting.


I think that the whole eat heroically and pay nothing phenomenon is fairly widespread; I remember it being the subject of an episode of the Simpsons. I also think that there is not a man alive, no matter how effete, that hasn't sized up that challenge and thought, at least once: Yeah I could. If I wanted to. Strangely, I have never once in my life heard of the Big Texan, so it may either be local or one of those "let's export culture" franchises. WOW THERE'S A SHIPPING CONTAINER FULL OF DEAD MEXICANS, HONEY WHAT ATMOSPHERE

Quote from: "Limmo"
CHEAP SHOTS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED


DOLLAR SHOTS GREATLY APPRECIATED
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2003, 12:20:50 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
 I think that the whole eat heroically and pay nothing phenomenon is fairly widespread; I remember it being the subject of an episode of the Simpsons. I also think that there is not a man alive, no matter how effete, that hasn't sized up that challenge and thought, at least once: Yeah I could. If I wanted to. Strangely, I have never once in my life heard of the Big Texan, so it may either be local or one of those "let's export culture" franchises. WOW THERE'S A SHIPPING CONTAINER FULL OF DEAD MEXICANS, HONEY WHAT ATMOSPHERE



I-40 West from Oklahoma City to Amarillo is lined with billboards touting the Big Texan's quality of dead bovine flesh.  Perhaps to lure in unsuspecting dreamers from New Jersey like myself.  I contented myself with a burrito.  That was back in 1990, so they may well have gone the way of the dodo.

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Limmo"
CHEAP SHOTS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED


DOLLAR SHOTS GREATLY APPRECIATED


JELLO SHOTS GET YOU LONG-TIME LOVING, GI JOE
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2003, 12:23:20 am »

That's funny.  There are a tonne of Checkers and Sonic ads around Philly too, but the closest Checkers to here is in South Jersey (a good 30 minute ride from Philly) and the closest Sonic is in Maryland, nowhere near the Philly market.

So who's the genius who pays for advertising in a market where they don't have any locations?

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2003, 12:56:52 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Also - and I have no idea where I originally came up with this - but I was under the impression that Roy Rogers and Arby's were one and the same, having a sort of Exxon / Esso relationship. Perhaps I am just retarded.


Roy's merged with Hardee's a few years back. Hardee's being a very Arby's-esque place what with the roast beef sandwiches and all. In the DC area they all changed to Hardee's then they all changed to Roy's. Outside the metro area only Hardee's still exist but they serve Roy's burgers and fried chicken.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2003, 03:50:19 am »

It's gonna be hard to take ya'll seriously when you start writing about gourmet cooking after all this greasy fast food talk.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2003, 04:08:09 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
It's gonna be hard to take ya'll seriously when you start writing about gourmet cooking after all this greasy fast food talk.


Gustatory pleasure is gustatory pleasure. There is a craft and skill to creating something as primally appealing as Fast Food in the somatically obscene and criminally low-rent world of Flesh Processing and Delivery. Admit it - if you had The Recipe for McDonald's Fries, you could peddle it, say fifty cents a shot on PayPal, and still sit rather pretty.

No one medium is any more valid than another, in any sensual respect; if the Ronettes make me as as happy as the Auteurs, who'll split hairs?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2003, 04:34:14 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
if the Ronettes make me as as happy as the Auteurs, who'll split hairs?


Point taken.

Personally, I veer wildly between pathalogically loathing and obsessively gorging on fast food.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2003, 04:43:21 am »

I'm surprised no one mentioned "Chik-Fil-A" because damn they have some tasty pre-processed chicken sandwiches.

I eat at Chik-Fil-A about once every six years, though, because the only one around here is in the mall, which I never really enter anymore.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2003, 06:44:42 am »

Wow, a lot of ground covered here since I last checked this thread. Capsule response time!

In-N-Out: I've been here once, during a Christmas stay in California. It was crowded as hell, but I can understand why, as this was a thoroughly satisfying burger experience.

White Castle: REPRESENT. I've only had a handful of run-ins with White Castles in my life, but all were joy.

Sonic: I went to Sonic a few times in high school; they made a good burger, although not an extraordinary one. They were one of those "drive-in" places that basically did not allow you to order in person even if you came in, which made eating in very odd.

Chik-Fil-A: Why are there not more of these places? They seem to fill a very satisfying market niche, but I think I've eaten at one of these in my life.

On the subject of "obscure and possibly regional burger joints," many of my better recent hamburger experiences have been at one of these. The two that come immediately to mind are both solely Midwestern: Runza, run out of Nebraska and infamous for selling very nice (if very fast-foody) burgers along with their flagship pierogie-like sandwiches, and Culver's, a chain that appears to be entirely about high-quality burgers and delivers.

I was planning to end this post with a long rant about elitism and the great frustration to me caused by those who shun the common simply because it is common, and because a a disdain for the common is generally considered necessary to appreciate better qualities of things, but I sort of lost fervor. Suffice to say that I like hamburgers, refuse to yield my liking of hamburgers to an outside force, and will defend to my dying breath the idea that fast food is a perfectly justified topic of discussion for this forum.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2003, 11:25:10 am »

It took me years to figure out how you were supposed to pronounce "Chik-Fil-A."

It traumatized me so much that I have never eaten there.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Arby's (pseudo-split)
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2003, 02:09:00 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
In-N-Out is fuck*ng wonderful. I've only ever been to the one in Vegas, though


There's one in Vegas?  Whereabouts?  I presume it's not on the Strip or I'd have noticed it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up