Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cure  (Read 11829 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Cure
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 06:59:40 pm »

My favourite Anthrax song is, oddly, their cover of Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song".

This sounds like a recipe for dissonance but it just PUNISHES.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Cure
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2010, 07:25:53 pm »

My favourite Anthrax song is, oddly, their cover of Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song".

This sounds like a recipe for dissonance but it just PUNISHES.

I . . . had no idea this existed. I'm off to go find it, as Phillo is my favorite.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Cure
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2010, 07:44:01 pm »

It was the b-side for the Black Lodge single.

Of course, now that we're in The Future, we don't need to track down CDs anymore.

I kinda miss that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnY4D5jtMo
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Cure
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2010, 08:41:48 pm »

Looks like it showed up on a Thin Lizzy covers album, too.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Cure
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2010, 08:49:41 pm »

Well, it's certainly faithful.

Edit: Jesus that tribute album is awful. What's with the metal bands fronted by Cookie Monster? Can that stop, please?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:58:49 pm by Nabubrush »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2010, 09:38:09 pm »

Jesus that tribute album is awful. What's with the metal bands fronted by Cookie Monster? Can that stop, please?

How about indy bands that find virtue in not knowing how to play their instruments very well.  Can we do away with that too?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Cure
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2010, 09:54:19 pm »

And cue Dan's speech about how the only good music is by people who don't know how to play their instruments.

Because they spent all their trust-fund stipends on Pabst Blue Ribbon and ironic tee-shirts from the Salvation Army.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Cure
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2010, 10:53:08 pm »

And cue Dan's speech about how the only good music is by people who don't know how to play their instruments.

Because they spent all their trust-fund stipends on Pabst Blue Ribbon and ironic tee-shirts from the Salvation Army.

I'm all for people who can't play their instruments. Hell, that's me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Cure
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2010, 12:14:29 am »

How about indy bands that find virtue in not knowing how to play their instruments very well.  Can we do away with that too?

you dont like the ramones?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Cure
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2010, 12:35:28 am »

I don't mind if part of your thing as a band is your pose.

I get it, I understand the deal, you get your following by getting a "scene" to identify you, that's fine.

But if ALL the band has going for it is the pose, the band sucks.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2010, 04:02:38 am »

And cue Dan's speech about how the only good music is by people who don't know how to play their instruments.

Because they spent all their trust-fund stipends on Pabst Blue Ribbon and ironic tee-shirts from the Salvation Army.

You can have both mate
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2010, 04:10:33 am »

I'm not too aware of any indie bands who are proud of sucking at music.  I know that was a punk thing, but these newfangled indie kids are generally downright precocious.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2010, 05:36:50 am »

question never heard: "what ever happened to math rock"
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Cure
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2010, 05:38:21 am »

And even if it were asked, people would totally assume you meant "Matlock".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2010, 01:21:50 pm »

What's with the metal bands fronted by Cookie Monster? Can that stop, please?

Nothing wrong with cookie monster vocals.  For example, Opeth and Swallow The Sun both use them to good effect.

Although granted I do generally prefer the black metal rasp to the death metal growl.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up