Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cure  (Read 11806 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Cure
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2010, 02:20:05 pm »

cobra commander vocal ftw
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The Cure
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2010, 07:12:27 pm »

Opeth is the one of the greatest live acts ever (edit: is the greatest), not the smallest reason being Akerfeldt's hilarious mic banter.  The performances are tremendous but it's like I'm happy when songs end because I can't wait to hear what he's going to say next.  Also once I did shrooms at the show:  brilliant.
Logged
ACHIEVE

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2010, 12:49:27 am »

I've seen them live twice.  They are my favourite band.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Cure
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2010, 02:34:25 am »

Nothing wrong with cookie monster vocals.  For example, Opeth and Swallow The Sun both use them to good effect.

Although granted I do generally prefer the black metal rasp to the death metal growl.

I should have said "for me, the cookie monster-fronted metal band thing does not work. I cannot focus on the music without wincing."

You feel free to enjoy it, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The Cure
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2010, 08:23:43 am »

I've seen them live twice.  They are my favourite band.

Oh dang, now I see that you're an Aussie.  Did you see that Grand Final Replay?  St. Kilda, amirite?

Anyway, I saw 'em twice too, but once with the shrooms and the other time I didn't pay soooo... I think I'm kinda in the lead.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Cure
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2010, 06:25:08 pm »

I think I am increasingly realizing that any really "affected" vocal style drives me insane. Whether it's cookie monster, weird hardcore screaming, or cutesy joanna newsom/dirty projectors crap.
am I making an arbitrary distinction between singing, which is inherently an affected style, and the styles I dislike? probably.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Cure
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2010, 07:57:32 pm »

Dude, do you understand that so much of what I don't like about some of the bands you push is that their musical style is the painful affection that "playing your instruments well smacks of effort so we're gonna try really really hard to seem like we're not trying?"

I don't mind a band that plays simple things early on and grows their work as they get experience. That's fine by me, I like some minimalist stuff that is well-structured and considered in its minimalism.

But so many of the "we can't play!" bands are a fuck*ng POSE about how effort ain't cool and how off-the-cuff genius is all that matters and people who have to work hard to do good things suck, here we are just strumming away and we're fuck*ng amazing and we aren't even trying!

It is what I hate about the majority of the fuck*ng beatnik writers too. The fuck*ng POSE. "Oh, I just automatically wrote this shit and didn't edit it, you're assholes for trying, fuck you!"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2010, 11:17:00 pm »

Where the fuck did that come from?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2010, 11:21:01 pm »

Quote
Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Cure
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2010, 12:05:19 am »

Dude, do you understand that so much of what I don't like about some of the bands you push is that their musical style is the painful affection that "playing your instruments well smacks of effort so we're gonna try really really hard to seem like we're not trying?"

Relax a touch, wouldja?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Cure
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2010, 12:49:22 am »

but, like, me liking these bands is not some sort of weird pose.

I'm not saying "oh man, Thee Oh Sees' guitarist plays like shit, and I love how much this pisses on the idea of being good at your instrument, I am going to play their music in my house/car all the time and try to ignore it."
I'm saying "oh man, I really like the brutal, noisy way that John Dwyer plays his guitar. I find a lot of guitar playing to be boring, but hooo boy, this is really fun to listen to. I like listening to this music, so I will listen to it."

If i enjoy listening to music that sounds like this, it does not seem like a huge jump to say that the reason they make it is because it is the kind of music they like.

I have also thought a lot about the whole concept of "lo-fi" recording lately, and I think I have realized something. I am going to discuss this in the "What I'm listening to" thread, I think.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2010, 01:33:59 am »

"I like listening to this music, so I will listen to it."

It ought to be this simple.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Cure
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2010, 02:34:58 am »

Roll with it, inev. It's all good.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2010, 04:18:52 pm »

Is there an affectation where in order to be a good writer you have to act difficult and cantankerous?

Oh, is it not an affectation?

Well, then maybe other things that appear to be affectations are just different approaches to music that don't sound right to you.  They might sound right to others.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2010, 04:21:43 pm »

this just in: people with different concepts of good drawn to different styles of expression
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up