Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Philly Fans in DC  (Read 2049 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Philly Fans in DC
« on: October 05, 2010, 08:33:40 pm »

We have at least one Nats fan here.  It's Carlos, right?  Sorry I can't remember exactly.  I recently read a Flickr blog post about bad behaving Phillies fans at Nats games.

Dude has pictures that seem to prove his point.  Just wondering if you agreed at all with his take on things?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Philly Fans in DC
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 08:40:00 pm »

We have at least one Nats fan here.  It's Carlos, right?  Sorry I can't remember exactly.  I recently read a Flickr blog post about bad behaving Phillies fans at Nats games.

Dude has pictures that seem to prove his point.  Just wondering if you agreed at all with his take on things?

I can't say first hand, but I have a friend who is from Philly, lives in DC, and still roots for Philly teams* and even she has said that Philly fans at Nats games need to tone it down.


*She'll go to Nats games and root for them unless them winning can somehow hurt the Phillies
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Philly Fans in DC
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:41:33 pm »

I believe sports fans from Philadelphia are sort of the archetype of the bad sports fan. Booing Santa at Franklin Field? A hail of batteries thrown at J.D. Drew? The (possibly apocryphal) court at the old Veterans Stadium?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Philly Fans in DC
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:45:36 pm »

I believe sports fans from Philadelphia are sort of the archetype of the bad sports fan. Booing Santa at Franklin Field? A hail of batteries thrown at J.D. Drew? The (possibly apocryphal) court at the old Veterans Stadium?

philthadelphia has all kinds of rad art-stuff and art schools, even, but it still blows.  they got rid of ed rendell, but they foisted him on the rest of us.....
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Philly Fans in DC
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:47:18 pm »

I just remembered, El Guapo is from Philly.  He's kind of a hooligan in general, but I don't know if he's into sports.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Philly Fans in DC
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 10:39:52 pm »

Raider fans, up and down the California coast, could give them a run for their money.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Philly Fans in DC
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:52:40 pm »

This is actually my first thought when I think of Philly fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmm_icx8Bc
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Philly Fans in DC
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 12:03:13 am »

Raider fans, up and down the California coast, could give them a run for their money.

I was going to compare and contrast, but then I remembered fuck the Raiders, so I didn't take the effort.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Philly Fans in DC
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 02:12:59 am »

I am originally a Phillies fan, and am indeed now a Nats fan.  In head-to-head matchups, I will root for the home team early in the year, and later in the year I will root for whichever team needs it more in the standings (that is to say, the Phils).  But I try not to go to the game when they're playing each other.  In part because I am torn as to which team to cheer for, but also because Philly fans are indeed obnoxious as hell.

Yeah, some of it is stereotyping, but I'm pretty well done defending them.  Much as Red Sox fans became insufferable after Boston finally won the World Series, Philly fans are all high and mighty now.  For most Phils-Nats games in Washington this year, there have been more Phillies fans in the house, or at least they've been louder, and they've made much ado about how lame Nats fans are for not supporting their team.  But Phils fans didn't really support their team until they, you know, started winning 90 games a year.  It's easy to sell out the ballpark every night when you've won four straight division titles.

Opening Day this year was particularly horrible (I didn't go, fortunately, but heard all about it afterwards).  The Nats' front office actually marketed directly to Philly fan groups, who organized bus tours to see the Phils and Roy Halladay.  So Opening Day, which is supposed to be all about promise and the new season, was dominated by fans of the visiting team.  When Ryan Zimmerman was presented with the Gold Glove and Silver Slugger awards before the game (marking him as the best fielding AND best hitting player at his position in the league, a rare feat, that), he was booed by the Philly fans.  WTF?  He's not some douchebag like Barry Bonds, he's one of the best players in the league and a good guy to boot, and those cockmunchers booed him. Totally devoid of class.  It becomes as much about acting like an asshole toward the home fans as it is about actually cheering their team.

If that's not enough, there's this tale of a guy who made himself puke on a man and his daughter when he asked him to stop swearing so much.  That'll tell you pretty much what you need to know.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Philly Fans in DC
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 06:15:43 am »

Yeah, some of it is stereotyping, but I'm pretty well done defending them.  Much as Red Sox fans became insufferable after Boston finally won the World Series, Philly fans are all high and mighty now.

I never hated the Red Sox until 2004, and it's mostly just the fans. I have some friends out here in Salt Lake originally from New England that aren't obnoxious about it at all, so for a while I wondered if maybe it was just a bandwagon phenomenon specific to fans not from the region. I dated this one girl during the 2007 season, and her mom, a Utah native, recorded and watched every. single. fuck*ng. Sox game. And every time I went over there I had to hear all about Red Sox nation, the Red Sox are America's team, Red Sox this and Red Sox that. That's an extreme example, but there are a lot of fans out here kind of like that. In fact, I now cheer for the Yankees when they play the Red Sox, and I fuck*ng hate the Yankees.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1]   Go Up