I have my website hosted at Laughing Squid, which I admit I chose because I like the name and wanted their logo on my website. BUT, they also make a big deal about how they host a lot of independent artists and creative types etc.
I think if you make a selling point out of that, you ought to make some effort to support people who are not techies. Well, so much not the case:
Yesterday I get an email that they are phasing out my hosting service and will now only have "cloud hosting." And if I want to move to "cloud hosting," the instructions are identical to setting up an entirely new website on an entirely new host. They have no way to move me automatically and offer no assistance whatsover.
Since I have to start over from scratch there is no advantage to staying with them instead of taking my business elsewhere. And I would kind of like to do this because this makes me mad. But, there is also no point in making the effort to choose a new service if they all suck. And in fact, just a few months ago, the Tech Staff's host did the same thing - booted him off onto a new hosting plan which includes an email program that makes me want to punch someone every time I use it.
So the question is: It is too much to expect that I can put up a website and keep it there forever? Or is this just going to happen every five years no matter what service I choose?