Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr. Bear goes to the Teddy Bear's Picnic  (Read 1892 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Mr. Bear goes to the Teddy Bear's Picnic
« on: October 15, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »

Sorry to disappoint everyone who thought this was a new strip thread.

You remember that old creepy-weird children's song "Teddy Bear's Picnic?"

Just in case you don't, this will refresh your memory.

I think if Onstad wrote an arc about Mr. Bear going to the Teddy Bear's Picnic, a dark, secret ritual that takes place deep in the woods during the full moon, it could be pretty awesome and Cartilage-Head level disturbing. I don't know what he'd do with it once he got ol' Cornelius there, but that is an arc I would pay a commission to see made if I had enough money lying around to make it worth the 'Stad's while.

Just thought I'd share.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Mr. Bear goes to the Teddy Bear's Picnic
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 02:56:41 pm »

C-Head is one of my favorite arcs, so I'm totally in favor of this, but of course he's hung up the strip so there's no chance of it ever happening now.

Almost completely unrelated: "You are My Sunshine" is a creepy-ass song. I have a singer friend who does a really dark version of it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. Bear goes to the Teddy Bear's Picnic
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 02:59:34 pm »

Yeah, I sing it to my kids sometimes (all four verses), but then again I have also been known to use Seger's "Turn the Page" as a lullaby so they're probably pretty warped already.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Mr. Bear goes to the Teddy Bear's Picnic
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 04:27:45 pm »

Yeah, I sing it to my kids sometimes (all four verses), but then again I have also been known to use Seger's "Turn the Page" as a lullaby so they're probably pretty warped already.

anything can mean anything to anyone.

"closer" by NIN is a love song, right? 
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Mr. Bear goes to the Teddy Bear's Picnic
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 04:50:04 pm »

I'll always love you
And make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me
To love another
You'll regret it all some day


Not too much grey area there.

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. Bear goes to the Teddy Bear's Picnic
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 05:08:43 pm »

I do wonder if he'd even take it as a commission at this point...if I had the cash to throw at it, would it matter?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Mr. Bear goes to the Teddy Bear's Picnic
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 06:36:53 pm »

But if he's doing the next big thing, why is he begging for money? That'd be the only thing I wouldn't get.

If the next big thing is on spec, you'd reckon he'd put enough time aside to keep the strip going to keep selling merch and Paywall subscriptions and so on.

If the next big thing is paid, you'd think he wouldn't bother begging for money at all.

That's the only thing I don't understand about that theory.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. Bear goes to the Teddy Bear's Picnic
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 07:10:48 pm »

Mike, it's not like he's on the street corner begging for money.  That link on his site isn't occupying any of his time.  Maybe it's offensive for him to be asking for donations when he's not delivering product, but if someone was to want to give you money for nothing would you turn it down?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. Bear goes to the Teddy Bear's Picnic
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 07:14:21 pm »

Could we please not ask questions that encourage LFM to theorize MORE about Onstad's business plan and creative process? Just as a favor to me? Please?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Mr. Bear goes to the Teddy Bear's Picnic
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »

Quote from: pmcd9
but if someone was to want to give you money for nothing would you turn it down?

No. But I'd start feeling guilty as fuck about it after just a little while.

And I'll stop there, out of deference to the wombles.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1]   Go Up