Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10  (Read 7735 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 07:39:50 pm »

Enjoyment of comic requires viewing of films I will probably never view. Looking forward to getting next comic for Christmas.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 10:08:59 pm »

Looking forward to getting next comic for Christmas.

like in those days when an orange was one of a kids most looked-forward-to gifts?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:18:55 am by greenkoolayd »
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 02:17:59 am »

For a bunch of people who whine so much about not having a new comic, we sure don't have a lot to say once we get one.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 02:40:00 am »

It's kinda like... we're on a really long road trip... and we're still in Utah.   

Utah and this story line are pretty homogeneous. 

Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 02:43:24 am »

There kinda wasn't much to say.

It was a momentary diversion on the road to, hopefully eventually, a plot, y'know?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 04:02:34 am »

There kinda wasn't much to say.

It was a momentary diversion on the road to, hopefully eventually, a plot, y'know?

This.

Although I will say that Onstad managed to capture the essence of a horribly mangled Bill Murray remarkably well.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 12:47:00 pm »

Sigh. Back when Phillippe was standing on it, no one griped about anything as mundane as a plot.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 04:35:11 pm »

Sigh. Back when Phillippe was standing on it, no one griped about anything as mundane as a plot.

i agree completely. 

however, phillipe standing on it represents a one-off, non-arced story.  it was, and others of its type are, completely self contained.

the brilliance of the phillipe standing on it stories was that while 100% self-contained, the made reference to an immense universe of achewood that had not been told or storied.  the possibly retarded otter was both self contained and a portal to a universe.

regardless, the strip stood on its own.

as such, looking at, like as at a picture, i could see the entirety of it and comment on it.  hey, i could say, look! phillipe is standing on it.  hey, i could say, look! the mona lisa isn't very pretty.

with story-arc strips, though, i can look upon them and see much, but by their very inclusion into a story arc i respect the artist's desire for me to see them in continuity.  it is rude of me to appraise the strip of its complete value until i have viewed the entire arc.

if i wasn't to wait, why would i have been presented an arc?

if i were to partake of the strip as a singularity, it would have been presented to me as a big mac, modulated but complete, and not as a mc-dlt, which was separate.  one did not eat the cold side cold, and then, later, upon receipt of the hot side eat the hot side.  the mc-dlt was not 2 entities, separate, alone.  no, it was a series of sandwich halves which must be combined into a singular sandwich entity.

i may appreciate, say, the insane brilliance of the cold half, the bill murray representation.  i may appreciate, as it were, the hot side of ray's complete being encapsulated into the witty banter of a patty in a strip.

but, i may not conjoin the two and offer an opinion as to my meal until the chef has given me his full offering.

anything else would be uncivilized.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 05:03:00 pm »

If we weren't in the middle of a... glacial... plot, I'd completely agree with you, wombies.

But, like, it is clear that we aren't going to get out of this story and onto ideas (plotty or un-plotty) the author is even slightly interested in, we've gotta get back up on this plot and ride it out first.

At this point, I would have no qualms with the next strip being Ray stepping out of the shower and finding Phillipe freshly returned from his mother's house and freshly standing on it, everything since having been a Smuckles marihuana fever dream, ushering a long stretch of more frequent plotless one-offs. I would be pretty jazzed at that prospect, actually.

But the author does not seem like the kind of dude who would just admit defeat like that, even to get out of a floundering creative decision. It all just still feels like the end of the Phillipe's homeward bound arc was... the ending to MASH. Tidy, y'know? Alan Alda kills a baby he thinks is a chicken and everybody goes home but Klinger. Again. Tidy.

And yet, after MASH, some of the people still liked their steady jobs and so they made AFTER-MASH, just because they didn't know what to do next and... yeah.

Only television geeks even REMEMBER AFTER-MASH. I dunno. You all know what I mean.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 05:24:41 pm »

Onstad used to abandon storylines all the time. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

washort

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 07:17:50 pm »

In case you were wondering, that's an ondes_Martenot.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 07:21:14 pm »

You're pithy and educational, for that I salute you.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 07:23:31 pm »

In case you were wondering, that's an ondes_Martenot.

I did not know and I wasn't wondering.  I just thought it was a pretty organ.  Wow, I had no idea this existed.  Fantastic!!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 07:23:36 pm »

Only television geeks even REMEMBER AFTER-MASH. I dunno. You all know what I mean.

AFTERMASH should be a label for light-hearted rap albums and mashups.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 07:24:47 pm »

In case you were wondering, that's an ondes_Martenot.

Can'd. Neat find.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up