Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Flu Shots!?!  (Read 8944 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
Flu Shots!?!
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:20:42 pm »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:40:47 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 09:39:31 pm »

i got'em when the company i worked for payed.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 09:45:33 pm »

I've never had a flu shot.  When I worked in the medical field, I found a surprising number of my coworkers, including doctors, were against them, mostly because the long term effects haven't been sufficiently tested, and the clinical trials, especially when it came to the H1N1 vaccine were not sufficient enough for their liking.  Probably because I was working with HIV care workers, who have seen decades of humans being treated as guinea pigs to sometimes catastrophic effects, their concern was more heightened in this regard than the average medical health provider or person in the general populous though.  

I have considered it in the past, as I do have auto immune problems and therefore tend to get really sick when I do get sick.  I don't get sick that often though.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:49:31 pm »

I'm generally a fan of vaccines and building up immunities.

I've seen some stuff about our fortified immune systems being tied to allergies (immune system is designed to search and destroy, and lacking any significant threats it targets benign material). Any thoughts on this from med/science folks? I'm not talking about autism or anything like that--just allergies.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:27:39 pm »

What a vaccine does is give a weakened form of the virus to develop a reaction to. The immune system does get challenged, it's just that it's by something that can't make you sick, which is pleasanter for you. But as far as the immune system is concerned, it is a threat. So even if it were true that an immune system with nothing to do went after harmless stuff, I don't see how vaccines would cause that. They're doing the opposite, giving it something to work on, so they wouldn't cause you to have an immune system that was, like bored and looking for stuff to beat up on.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:37:45 pm »

I have gotten the shot in the past. the one year of college that I said "yeah, right" and was all rude to my mom about it (you can't tell me what to do!) I got hit really bad right in the middle of exams. Puking in garbage cans on the way to my exam, etc.

I don't know if I'll do it this year. I probably should.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 10:45:57 pm »

never bothered. if i get the flu, it probably won't kill me.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 10:47:08 pm »

Every time I got the flu shot, I got the flu that year.

About half the years I didn't, I didn't. I dunno.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 10:47:19 pm »

The only times I've ever gotten them are the last two years (just got mine yesterday) because the state pays. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, because I'm not big on recognizing that sort of thing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 11:10:29 pm »

I got a flu shot for the first time last year.  I also got the flu last year. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 11:21:12 pm »

I get the shot every year and can't remember the last time I got the flu. That is good enough for me to keep getting them.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 12:27:11 am »

What a vaccine does is give a weakened form of the virus to develop a reaction to. The immune system does get challenged, it's just that it's by something that can't make you sick, which is pleasanter for you. But as far as the immune system is concerned, it is a threat. So even if it were true that an immune system with nothing to do went after harmless stuff, I don't see how vaccines would cause that. They're doing the opposite, giving it something to work on, so they wouldn't cause you to have an immune system that was, like bored and looking for stuff to beat up on.
I understand the concept of vaccines. The question is whether the antibodies developed via vaccines make life too easy for the immune system.

Edit: It may go without saying, but I will specify that I would rather risk developing a peanut allergy than risk getting polio or the like. I'm just wondering about the net benefit of vaccines against the flu, chicken pox, etc.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 12:35:37 am by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 12:45:01 am »

Right, and what I am saying is, why should they make life any easier? What is the argument that the challenge presented by a vaccine is any different from that presented by other stimulus? Making antibodies is the immune system's job, and vaccines make it do its job.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 01:08:41 am »

To those who got sick the same year you had a flu shot, were you actually diagnosed with influenza or did you just have symptoms and self-diagnose?

I get one nearly every year and I haven't had the flu in at least a dozen years, but I don't get sick all that often anyway.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 01:24:01 am »

I only get a flu shot if there's not a shortage. I make sure the kids get theirs, though. Pedro's company pays for all of us, so cost isn't the issue, but I feel like if I get the flu it won't kill me, but it might kill a child or elderly person, so if there's a shortage I go without.

Wow, when that's all typed out that way, it sounds embarrassingly smug. Sorry about that, it's all true though.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up