Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Flu Shots!?!  (Read 8953 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 08:21:21 pm »

Oh, I don't believe in the vaccine-autism link stuff at all, don't get me wrong.

So many things have changed about the human race's living conditions in the last coupla generations that trying to correlate autism's higher prevalance (or, anyway, higher number of diagnoses) with vaccinations seems insane to me.

Plastics? Lead? Electromagnetic radiation? Hormones in the foods? Generally lower infant mortality rates creating a larger pool of people with neurological disabilities? Simply understanding what it is and doctors pointing out what it is now?

I got no idea. My education is in mass media communications and world religions. I took a course in neurobiology in college and I have people in my family with different kinds of neurological problems so I probably know a LITTLE more than an average person but a lot less than jay-elle as the mother of an autistic kid and a lot less than someone with actual medical training.

All I know is I've been around for around thirty flu seasons and I have tended to get the flu less often in years I don't get the shots.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010, 08:39:25 pm »

When I walk into the barn and do the first hoss the others get all antsy about what they got coming. They know they are next.
Why, is it administered rectally?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 08:49:20 pm »

Why, is it administered rectally?

if not, shots dont feel good, even if youre a hoss.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010, 09:17:48 pm »

there was an NPR story at some point about the vaccine/autism thing, and they interviewed a mom whose kid almost died of whooping cough. he was too young to get the shot, and lots of older kids in their area were not vaccinated. She basically said "when people tell me their kids are not going to be vaccinated, I have a hard time not telling them I hope they die in a fire."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 09:55:29 pm »

Vaccination is good.  Vaccination works.  People trying to outlaw vaccinations against HPV because 4,000 annual cases of cervical cancer is "worth it" as a deterrent to having sex make me ill and/or violent.  I wish there were a vaccine for that.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 12:48:30 am »

Amen, brother.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 01:34:59 am »

What we need more of is science.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 01:50:44 am »

And hoss worming stories!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2010, 03:42:49 pm »

I wonder how people get their not-vaccinated kids into day care, pre-school or regular school? The youngest started a pre-K program this school year and the immunization card and doctor health statement was part of the entry deal-io. I wish A-Dawg was around for a public health aspect on some of this.

You can get a waiver for "religious observance."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2010, 04:33:27 am »

If you get the waiver but your kid ends up catching the measles can you get kicked out on the basis that apparently God doesn't like you that much?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2010, 04:53:20 am »

See, I am for science, but also against it.  I think it is pretty cool we can do these things, but I think it is probably bad for the society.  You got to weed people out, that's where our problems are coming from.  Or, like we could change the way we live, but that is pretty unlikely with tea baggers running free.  I don't plan on going to a doctor again unless I have a broken bone.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2010, 06:06:17 am »

I would definitely be someone who would get weeded out. Scrawny little dude? Can't see very well? "Science doesn't exist, leave him on the hill" says Roman dad.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2010, 06:19:30 am »

I guess that is just my personal philosophy.  We should stop where we are though, unless we are going to make changes to society at the same time.

We should definitely have glasses and lsd and amoxicilian and ships and maps and the ability to set bones and stuff.  Just I don't see that too much more than that is improving peoples lives.  Lengthening?  Yeah.

Also, people who say smokers cost money to the system and such:  fuck all that.  We die earlier and open up resources for other people.  Plus, people got to die (and go to the hospital and such) some time.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2010, 12:07:50 pm »

Diseases are happy to weed out good smart people and leave evil stupid people behind. At this point in history if we want to improve the species I think we need to find a different method.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Shots!?!
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2010, 12:55:00 pm »

Also, people who say smokers cost money to the system and such:  fuck all that.  We die earlier and open up resources for other people.

Man, normally I am fairly liberal and easy going about life-choices cause I've done plenty to shorten my own but that's some bullshit. The majority of smokers probably won't get lung cancer (not that dying of lung cancer is cheap on the system by the way, chemo drugs, expensive surgeries etc), many many more get emphysema and end up as crazy skinny old dudes who need to be admitted every other week because every breath off pure oxygen is an ungodly struggle. Not to mention they need tonnes of professional care even when they're not in hospital because they can't even open a dang bag of bread without getting winded. It all costs, dawg.

Of course if you've paid your insurance/taxes (depending on your universal healthcaredom) then you're entitled to all the medical care you need/can convince your insurance company to pay for.

Probably not unsurprisingly I'm not down with the idea of letting nature weed us out either, I don't spend much time fussing over whether something's natural or not. We're the first species we know of that can intentionally and drastically alter our environment (and ourselves) to our own benefit. I'm not saying we should be reckless about it, we've seen where that goes, but we shouldn't be bashful about doing it either. I'm not going to be satisfied until I'm in my solar-powered 1000 year old body.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up