Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.  (Read 5051 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 01:59:50 am »

I used to steal coffee filters from the nearby 7-11 for . . . well, for any sort of use one might have for paper that doesn't include writing on it. I am really glad I don't have to worry about money to that extent anymore.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 02:00:38 am »

By the way, I am surprised that it's August who turns out to be the only one to confess to doing it my way, because I've seen your house on Google Maps, Aug, and you are a lot further from a supermarket than I am. So I guess the more free-wheeling approach can work even if you are not right across the street from Whole Foods.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 02:06:10 am »

I would rather take the time to make a list once a week and make one trip than to make multiple trips throughout the week. I hate making stops on my way home from work, especially when I still have to cook afterward. But living alone I typically only have to make 2 meals a week to get 5-6 dinners.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 02:15:40 am »

I just hate taking my kids to the grocery store.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 02:17:57 am »

Quote from: AugustWest
Two questions for you:  A) Is money the only valid scorecard? and B) Why keep score at all?

Those two questions basically apply to everything ever and should be considered often.

Well done, Aug.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 02:19:19 am »

ACap is surely going to say that 100 dollars in the bank is earning interest while 100 dollars of food is just getting freezer-burnt.

For my part, I hope I am never again so poor that I have to spend as much time thinking about money as ACap does but, hey, whatever floats your boat. There is no right way to shop for groceries.

I spend every working hour driving costs down and profits up, its really not something I can or should just stop thinking about when the money i'm spending is my own and not the company's. If I'm going to work my ass off for their balance sheets to get bigger, it is only reasonable that I treat my own money with as much diligence.

But A-C, your post made me think.  You have an interesting mindset.  Two question for you:  A) Is money the only valid scorecard? and B) Why keep score at all?
See above. I just choose to treat my money with at least as much respect as I do the money of the company I work for. At work, yes, money is the only scorecard. Profit percentage "points" are the points in the game of business, and I like to score points. In life, no, I do not see money as the ultimate scorecard. Money is just a medium of exchange that I can collect and use to pursue other things I value. The Randian that lives inside of me would also say that money is a measure of my productivity and productive achievement is the noblest activity of any man.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:23:13 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 02:22:55 am »

I also like how this thread is veering in this direction at the same time as another thread is being written about collecting useless objects inside a video game.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 02:24:53 am »

Good answer.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 02:28:30 am »

By the way, I am surprised that it's August who turns out to be the only one to confess to doing it my way, because I've seen your house on Google Maps, Aug, and you are a lot further from a supermarket than I am. So I guess the more free-wheeling approach can work even if you are not right across the street from Whole Foods.

Nah, we may live in the boonies, but we both work in town.  And I come home from work in one town and go to the gym in a different town.  So it's no biggy to hit the K- Roger pretty much whenever.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 11:15:14 am »

I spend every working hour driving costs down and profits up, its really not something I can or should just stop thinking about when the money i'm spending is my own and not the company's. If I'm going to work my ass off for their balance sheets to get bigger, it is only reasonable that I treat my own money with as much diligence.

No doubt. It's good there are all different kinds of people in the world who are suited to different things, because what you are doing would make me want to kill myself.

Although, I do have to say, working just a few hours a week for a normal profit-making business for the first time in my adult life - there is definitely something to be said for it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 12:13:41 pm »

Thank you for recognizing that what I do for a living requires an effort that would drive others to suicide. Negotiating pennies on the price of inputs is something most people can not get in to.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 12:16:43 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 12:27:57 pm »

I may have mentioned this, but canned goods do not last forever.

Maybe not forever
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 12:53:00 pm »

You really ate food off the side of the road?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 01:52:49 pm »

You really ate food off the side of the road?

No, no, no.  Well, sorta.  it's not like I was eating roadkill or a half eaten Big Mac that someone had thrown out the window of their car or anything like that.  I found a lunchbox cooler which had obviously fallen off of the back of someone's truck only moments before.  I don't remember exactly what was in the cooler, a sandwich maybe, a bag of chips and a coke.  Maybe a Little Debbie cake or a piece of fruit, I don't remember exactly, this was at least 25 years ago.  The food was fresh, it was sealed in a cooler, it was somebody's lunch. 

So I ate it.  And it was good.  And I didn't get sick.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: inev doesn't know how to grocery shop.
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 02:01:44 pm »

I'm so picky that the odds of finding a random sandwich I would actually enjoy eating are infinitesimal. But even if I saw a ham and swiss on rye with mayo, lettuce, and red onion sitting in a cooler on the side of the road, I don't think I'd try it.

I'd think about it, and then my inner Mom would say, "Don't eat that! It could be a trap! What if it's poisoned, or laced with drugs so that some creepo watching from the bushes can kidnap you and take you away to a remote warehouse and chop you into tiny pieces?"

But that kind of thing would probably not occur to me if I were a grown man from Texas with a wicked 'stache. I think that line of thinking is the exclusive provenance of suburban white girls with overprotective mothers.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up