Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey everybody, let's run a country!  (Read 17016 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« on: November 02, 2010, 04:36:24 pm »

Thought it might be useful/instructive/infuriating to have a voting thread. Let's engage in participatory democracy, kids!

It's kind of fun for me because I'm at work, so I get to see all the wingnut "we're new at this" Alaska politics (which I was steeped in as a kid, due to my folks being deeply involved), and I also get to follow the hippy-dippy Oregon stuff.

Fun races:

(AK)
Sen: Murkowski/McAdams/Crazy Joe Miller
Gov: Parnell/Berkowitz

(OR)
Gov: Dudley/Kitzhaber
Measure 74 (licensing weed farmers)
Measure 75 (authorizing one private casino - this deal is kind of weird)

So, what about the rest of you folks? Any fun races in your neck of the woods? Is Sarah Palin hanging around in front of your house? Did you enter the voting booth and loudly complain it was out of toilet paper? What's going on?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 04:43:10 pm »

i didnt vote because i am not registered to re-pube-lickin' or demo-crap.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:47:16 pm »

i didnt vote because i am not registered to re-pube-lickin' or demo-crap.
What does that have to do with voting in a general election?

I plan to vote today after months of riding the fence.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 04:50:54 pm »

i didnt vote because i am not registered to re-pube-lickin' or demo-crap.

what
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 05:00:46 pm »

(OR)
Gov: Dudley/Kitzhaber
Measure 74 (licensing weed farmers)
Measure 75 (authorizing one private casino - this deal is kind of weird)

I came out Yes on 74 (The Mercury had some good reasons against it... but I don't know... they weren't enough to sway me.)   I also came out No on 75.   
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 05:21:24 pm »

I voted in favor of weed farmers. I'd like to see all these pothead couch-surfers give a little something back. I'm pretty sure everybody in Oregon who ever smokes pot has a card by now, so what the heck.

I also voted against the casino. A little too transparent in your gaming of the system there, boys (see what I did?).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 05:32:26 pm »

I got into an argument with my father yesterday over the Texas governors race.  We've got entrenched George Bush Clone Rick Perry going against former Houston mayor Bill White.  Yes he agrees he did a good job of governing Houston, yes he was on the ball, a real hero almost during the hurricane, getting things done when the federal government (FEMA) was dragging their feet.  No, he's not voting for him because he's too liberal (What?).  He doesn't want to protect the border (Huh?).  Oy yey!

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 07:15:37 pm »

Missouri's Prop A would put St. Louis and Kansas City's income taxes up for local springtime referendums every five years. It would also ban any other cities in Missouri from enacting income taxes.

I don't like it for a number of reasons. Why should I have any say on how other cities structure their tax code? Why should people in other cities have any say over the legislation of the tax code in my city (St. Louis)?

Also, if the income taxes are phased out, then the burden (30% of St. Louis' city budget and 40% of Kansas City's) will inevitably be shifted to property and/or sales taxes. The city income tax is a flat 1% of earnings for people who live and/or work in St. Louis. That seems fair to me, as the people who benefit from the city infrastructure are the people who pay for it.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 07:20:12 pm »

We got some weird referendum about how our library is run that sounds kind of like that - something about forcing other districts to go along with financing in some kind of way. Sounded a bit hinky to me, but I figured fuck THOSE guys.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 08:21:48 pm »

oh, i thought this was the thread to RUIN a country.

dammit.

in local news, there's an ad on the radio telling me that some of the people funding the democrat candidate for congress are democrats.

i shit you not.

also, a dude called in to the local "call in and either talk about shit you don't know, try to sell shit, try to buy shit, or possibly read a passage from the bible, but please stop stalking the host" show,
and,
i paraphrase but this is the gist, yeah,

he said that he was old,
and that he lived on a fixed income,
and those folks in washington refused to raise the cost of living,
so we should all vote republican this election.

now, we all have our own misguided loyalty to the republican, democrat, or set shit on fire and riot parties.
all three of them have consistently let all of us down in many, many ways.

and i really don't have a high expectation for humanity. i mean, if i order a hamburger, and reply to the inevitable question with "no, ma'am, no cheese. please.", and do not receive cheese on my hamburger,
then i go home,
i go to the garage,
i lift up the drop cloth from over the easel,
and i put one, singular, lonely mark of chalk into the: "totally didn't fuck up for once, maybe there IS hope for the future of humanity" column.

so,
i don't expect to hear anything reasonable about or from politics in any facet.

but, this left me more jaded.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 08:28:41 pm »

I voted against Rand Paul today!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 08:33:06 pm »

I love all the road signs saying things like "voted with Pelosi 97%." Well no shit. That's kind of why we elected him.

I've only heard a few election ads. It's the Boeing/EADS ads about their fuck*ng refueling tankers that make me want to kick babies. Right now I'm supporting EADS simply because they run fewer and less obnoxious ads. Here's a tip, Boeing, any ad featuring two people having a really fake conversation is fuck*ng annoying by definition.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 08:47:03 pm »

my city (St. Louis)?

Did I miss something?  I thought you lived in Chicago?  When did you move?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 08:47:59 pm »

He lives in Chicago. St. Louis belongs to him.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 09:01:11 pm »

Houston is notoriously lousy about preservation.  There is a referendum to do away altogether with our already weak historical districts.  The anti side's signs read "protect our historical districts" naturally.  I really admire the chutzpah of the other side.  Their signs read "Yes to preservation, no to protected districts."  Ah yes, we could really get down to the business of preserving shit if we didn't have those pesky preservationist standing in our way.  I know how these neauvou preservationist work.  They like to preserve shit with a bulldozer.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up