Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey everybody, let's run a country!  (Read 17037 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 09:40:18 pm »

Did I miss something?  I thought you lived in Chicago?  When did you move?

June 30th
http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3806.msg155867.html#msg155867
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 10:10:38 pm »

Ah.  I vaguely remember you having a meetup with Inev, but I thought maybe he went to Chicago.  He does that sometimes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 10:12:52 pm »

I'm at CNN.com, and they say NH has reported 12 votes. That seems doubtful.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 11:05:30 pm »

Ah yes, we could really get down to the business of preserving shit if we didn't have those pesky preservationist standing in our way.  I know how these neauvou preservationists work.  They like to preserve shit with a bulldozer.
Fremont Boulevard in my hometown has existed since Alameda County was created in the mid 1800's.  At the northern end, where I live, there is a set of Victorian-age houses that one by one are falling first to graffiti, then to bulldozers.  They're on a section of street that has some strip-mall style businesses on it, that back in the dot-com days were chewing up the real estate like locusts.  Half of them have been 'For Lease' for the past few years, but I'm sure the developers own that land and will get back to razing the few houses that remain once the recovery picks up some steam.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 11:08:59 pm »

Kentucky is being called for Rand Paul and the Curb-stompers.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 11:29:13 pm »

If I did that, I'd have to work. And as far as I'm concerned, election day is just as much a day off as the Super Bowl. I hope my team wins.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 12:35:20 am »

so, i was hasty in that other post.......

anyway, im glad to be rid of ed rendell.  hopefully onorato will be less of a sumbitch.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 12:38:01 am »

I voted against amending the state constitution to prevent people with felony convictions from holding county sheriff offices.

In my opinion, if a convicted felon can get hisself elected in this day and age, he ought to have it.

Also, I am against adding silly, frivolous, single-issue line items to a piece of legislation that has been working fine for a couple hundred years.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 12:53:16 am »

I don't like ballot questions of any kind.  The whole point of electing people, in my view, is to delegate making those kinds of decisions to them. It is their job to think that kind of stuff through. I have my own jobs to do, I don't have time to also do theirs.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 01:24:04 am »

yeah, I voted against that "don't let them make taxes" thing. I already forget what other weird, confusing questions I voted on.

my girlfriend voted against the "POWs with debilitating injuries don't have to pay property taxes" thing. I'm interested in hearing her thought process.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:22:24 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 03:48:35 am »

my girlfriend voted against the "POWs with debilitating injuries don't have to pay property taxes" thing. I'm interested in hearing her thought process.

Is that the entirety of the bill? That's so specific that it has to impact just a tiny fraction of the population. Seems odd. I guess one argument against it could be:

I don't like ballot questions of any kind.  The whole point of electing people, in my view, is to delegate making those kinds of decisions to them. It is their job to think that kind of stuff through. I have my own jobs to do, I don't have time to also do theirs.

Edit: Hey, the Kansas City Star opposed it:

Quote from: Kansas City Star Editorial Staff
Missouri Amendment 2

The Missouri General Assembly is proposing to amend the state constitution to exempt disabled prisoners of war from paying property taxes on their homes. Because disabled prisoners from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan aren’t included in the measure, it would apply to only about 100 former POWs living in the state.

A show of respect for those who served our nation in the most difficult conditions is always appropriate. But we recommend a no vote on this plan for several reasons.

Most veterans who would be affected by the tax break already are eligible for a tax credit that reimburses Missourians 65 and older or totally disabled individuals for up to $1,100 in taxes owed on their houses.

The property tax exemption would be burdensome for local revenue offices, which would be responsible for administration and enforcement.

The fairness of singling out one group of veterans is questionable. And some veterans’ groups are concerned that these kinds of monetary privileges would encourage people to falsely claim POW status or exaggerate their disabilities.

Disabled POWs are deserving of honor. But changing property tax laws isn’t the way to do it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 04:01:21 am »

We had one that was about increasing the availability of home loans to veterans.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 04:53:31 am »

we had three about letting state agencies spend more money than they have, to allow for multi-year projects; our state teetered on bankruptcy a few years back and was saved from it by passing the opposite measure. all three are passing, much to my chagrin.

we also had five statewide votes to loan a single city over five million dollars to purchase a park and build a second fire station and some other loans. it doesn't need a second fire station, it needs reciprocity agreements with its neighbor cities, which also have fire stations. there's about two miles between it and its neighbors. there are longer stretches without fire stations just within atlanta. all five are passing, much to my ever-enlarging chagrin. if they'd been loans for new computers for the school, or to replace failing police equipment, i'd be happier about it. the only one i voted for was the million-plus for road projects. that turns in to several jobs, which means payroll.

at least delaware voters showed some semblance of sanity tonight even if wisconsin and kentucky (sorry aug) didn't. it's still too early to tell if californians know what the fuck they're doing. whitman and fiorino are both losing, which is good, but so is prop nineteen, which infuriates a dude.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 06:48:17 am »

In Denver there was a proposition for tax dollars for UFO research.  I voted for it, but it failed miserably.

I also voted for the amendment that rejected Obama's healthcare, probably for different reasons than most.  Still though, fuck that bill.


I really did not want to vote, then my liberal guilt kicked in.  I really just did not want the two Senatorial districts I could call home to be represented by Ken Buck and James Imhofe.  So fuck.  I got to vote no for all of the judges though, my favorite part of voting, and something I forgot about til I was there.  Also, steal the ballot pen/pencil.  I now have 4, though only one says ballot pen.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 06:52:34 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody, let's run a country!
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 02:02:20 pm »

ever-enlarging chagrin

Seven kinky!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up