Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume 3  (Read 5488 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 12:30:00 am »

I guess I was really excited to get the book, because I was in such a rush to open the package that I sliced the cover with my pocket knife, making a long cut all across the title.

It's OK, I guess. I am not one of those crazy collector people who needs an untouched copy of a thing in a plastic bag. I can still read it. And I kind of smushed it back together so you can hardly see it.

well, dayum!
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 03:45:18 am »

I guess I was really excited to get the book, because I was in such a rush to open the package that I sliced the cover with my pocket knife, making a long cut all across the title.

I'm not sure 'stad deserves such an enthusiastic fan.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 03:48:47 am »

Doesn't everyone carry a folding blade for small tasks and social occasions?

If you don't...Stocking Stuffer.

This is what I carry.  Comes in handy more often than you'd expect.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 06:03:53 am »

This is what I carry.  Comes in handy more often than you'd expect.

What's that thing about when you've got a hammer everything looks like nail?

Damn if I didn't need a pair of pliers a bunch of times when moving house recently though. Oh really mister shitty ikea desk? Someone stripped your screws to hell when putting you together? PLIER'D!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:27:08 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 08:02:46 am »

i was marveling at her enthusiasm, not at her having a knife.  i carry one as well
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 01:17:36 pm »

I have a Leatherman that I used to carry when I worked at the zoo, but fortunately this was just a tiny Swiss army knife, or I probably would've totally destroyed the thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 02:52:58 pm »

Remember that charged top-line I put in a few weeks back? I snipped a nice stick off with it the other morning

At this point, I thought the charge on your fence was strong enough to cut through a sapling. I was trying to figure out a way to suggest that your horses may be too obstreperous to actually be owned by a human.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 03:03:09 pm »

I took this picture last week.  Leatherman is a very useful tool.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 09:19:33 pm »

How are the gun turrets working out?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 11:51:07 pm »

Arent you worried about fires? I would be worried about fires.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 02:13:33 am »

So yeah, you're worried about fires, but its taken care of. Cool.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 02:21:44 pm »

I noticed my first inconsistency last night. He drastically changed the final panel of Philippe's Wedding Day.

Of course I forgot to bring the book with me so I can't type the new ending verbatim but it involves Montmontre reminding Beef that he's missing therapy.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 05:08:32 pm »

I noticed my first inconsistency last night. He drastically changed the final panel of Philippe's Wedding Day.

Of course I forgot to bring the book with me so I can't type the new ending verbatim but it involves Montmontre reminding Beef that he's missing therapy.

"Montmartre where are Woman-Man and Mr. Tears"

"THEY'RE WAITING FOR YOU IN THERAPY"

"Oh my god I forgot it was Friday… Philippe I gotta run oh my god"


I prefer the original version.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 09:46:20 pm »

Perhaps in the intervening years, a few of Mr. Onstad's own imaginary friends have suicided, making the original hit too close to home.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pearced

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • Look out! He's got a knife
Re: Volume 3
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 09:29:02 pm »

I noticed my first inconsistency last night. He drastically changed the final panel of Philippe's Wedding Day.

I just noticed this as well. I've re-read most of the archives several times (geek) so it really jumped out at me and was quite disconcerting.

Given that such as Ray's rad chillies are included and many margin notes are devoted to how unhappy Onstad is with these strips, my guess is that there must be a fairly specific reason for removing a joke about suicide as opposed to a cosmetic change. I wonder if it's an Onstad change or an editorial change?
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up