Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: For our own good?  (Read 17446 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2010, 09:51:26 pm »

Thats what happens when autocrats go nuts with drunken power mod while using a cell phone, side-show. Let this be a lesson to us all.

It's possible....

Intercontinental fun-fact: We call them all mobile phones here, never cell phones.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2010, 10:25:53 pm »

Quote
Tell you what, next time I'm in a car and the driver answers the phone I'll slap it loose from him and lay a "Pay Attention, Stupid" on him.
please don't hit and yell at people while they are driving a car you are in
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2010, 11:50:57 pm »

It's possible....

Intercontinental fun-fact: We call them all mobile phones here, never cell phones.

the funnest difference is rice bubbles vs. rice krispies....
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2010, 03:16:08 am »

Tonight, Asherdan is thankful that he is not afraid of the police.

Tomorrow?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2010, 03:30:43 am »

If he dies, at least we will know he died happy.

Also, they are called mobile phones and cell phones up here interchangeably. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2010, 04:00:46 am »

Now I am less worried about talking and driving and more worried about Ash's alcohol-drenched, over-heated-in-the-hot-tub heart giving out.

To address A-Cap's point, for those of you who don't know, a guy murdered my grandmother and stepgrandfather 12 hours after being released from prison on prior drug and armed robbery convictions. Here's a case where the cops did their job, rounded up a guy, he served his time (3 years), and yet the system still failed us. There's only so much we can do to control the "criminal element." The guy got caught (again) and now faces the death penalty (which I oppose). It's not the police's fault -- for cripe's sake, my uncle is a cop in the precinct where my grandmother lived -- this guy simply couldn't be rehabilitated, at least not in the amount of time given as a maximum sentence under our current laws.

I would prefer that the whole situation hadn't happened. But it seems to me like that kind of random act is a lot less preventable than, for instance, the dozens of accidents a year that occur because the driver is distracted on the phone. A junkie with a violent streak in need of a drug fix is not the kind of person you can dissuade from breaking a law; an otherwise good person who isn't aware of how dangerous driving and talking can be is much more malleable. Solve the problems that make the most impact with the least effort first -- I would think that would be second nature to an economist, no?

Case in point: my dad has always been spotty at best about wearing his seatbelt, even after an accident in which he was mildly injured 12 years ago. But I found out today that he got a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt six months ago, and he's been religious about wearing it ever since. (See? It's hereditary.) He doesn't believe a seatbelt will keep him from dying in an accident, just like many people don't believe that talking on their phones while driving is dangerous, but he DOES believe that if he continues to not buckle up, eventually he'll get caught again. That's the kind of motivation some people (myself included) require.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2010, 05:22:46 am »

My father simply refuses to change his habits.  Even after the second time he's hit a stopped vehicle while he was reading his email on his Blackberry.  He gets a new hands-free earpiece every 4-5 months as a gift, and then says they don't work when he loses them/they run out of batteries.

Of course, this is also a man who burns his own oatmeal every damn morning and does not see the pattern nor how to change it.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2010, 06:55:32 am »

Case in point: my dad has always been spotty at best about wearing his seatbelt, even after an accident in which he was mildly injured 12 years ago. But I found out today that he got a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt six months ago, and he's been religious about wearing it ever since. (See? It's hereditary.) He doesn't believe a seatbelt will keep him from dying in an accident, just like many people don't believe that talking on their phones while driving is dangerous, but he DOES believe that if he continues to not buckle up, eventually he'll get caught again. That's the kind of motivation some people (myself included) require.

We never wore seat belts in my family.  I was raised to believe they were dangerous because my father had a wreck before or shortly after I was born where he believes he would have been killed had he been wearing a seat belt.  The car he was driving hydoplaned off the road in a storm and rolled several times.  He saved himself by diving into the floorboard.  Something he couldn't have done had he been wearing his belt.

To reinforce this attitude almost the exact thing happened to me.  In my case I was driving a two ton truck that caught a bit of gravel on the side of the highway and pulled the truck over.  I saved myself by diving into the floorboard.

In both cases the roof of the vehicle was crushed into the passenger area.  I've no doubt I would have been seriously injured or killed had I been strapped in.  As it were, I walked away unharmed.  My guitar did not fare as well.

I got three no seat belt tickets before I decided I could no longer afford to be a rebel.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2010, 01:53:20 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2010, 02:52:35 pm »

I survuved the family

Typos are funny.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2010, 03:03:40 pm »

Typos are funny.
Yeah the verb there is kind of a mystery. He could be saying survived or suffocated, we'll never know.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2010, 05:42:36 pm »

Paul, I have been wondering what happened to that guitar for literally years.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2010, 06:09:17 pm »

1984 was a bad year for me, as well.  my brother was born and i was no longer the only child.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2010, 06:10:10 pm »

Paul, I have been wondering what happened to that guitar for literally years.

Was it better for you when it was a mystery or do you prefer knowing?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2010, 07:27:37 pm »

for some reason I always imagined it was broken in a way involving teen/young stupidity. I am glad to know that isn't the truth. Glad you were OK, a guitar is a small price to pay for all these years of Paul.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up