Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog Booties?  (Read 4073 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Dog Booties?
« on: November 25, 2010, 08:28:05 pm »

No, I'm serious.  My dog needs some booties.  He loves being outside, but being a corgi, his little feet and legs get too cold, and he starts limping pretty quickly in the Manitoba winters.

Anyone ever bought dog booties?  Any suggestions? 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 08:51:59 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:03:22 pm »

I work at a store that sells dog booties so I have fitted a lot of dogs for them and watched them react. Some dogs really will not tolerate having them on their feet. If there is any way you can find a place that will let you try them on, that is really the best way to go. Or if you have to order them online, make sure they are returnable.

Aside from actual boots we also sell these, which are just a layer of rubber kind of like a balloon:
http://pawzdogboots.com/about/

Some dogs tolerate these better because it's not, like, a large object on their foot. The downside is that they are harder to put on - they stay on because they are stretchy and skin tight, so you need to stretch them way out to put them on, kind of like putting on pantyhose. It takes two hands, so if you're going to have to hold the dog still to get him to cooperate, it's a two person job.

Unlike boots, the Pawz don't have insulation or anything, but since the feet don't get wet and don't get snow stuck in the toes and stuff, it's still better than bare feet.

The least intrusive alternative if the dog won't tolerate either is musher's wax, which will at least keep snow from sticking in the toes. So both that and the Pawz should solve the limping problem and really might be enough. I mean, they are animals, what do they wear to insulate their feet in the wild, you know?

My dogs don't personally wear any of these because they will not tolerate having their feet handled at all, and also, they don't believe in being outdoors if the weather is bad enough for a dog to need boots. But they do seem to work for some dogs.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 03:45:54 am »

He will tolerate wearing them.  Since he is a rescue dog, I am fairly certain that someone else must have put him in boots before because when I presented the ones I've previously had him try on to him, he sort of got ready, like in a position where he knew what was about to go on, and then patiently waited as I put them on him and re-adjusted them several times.  Then he automatically walked around comfortably like they were nothing.  The pair I bought were quite good (leather with rubber soles with good grip), only they were definitely a size or two too large and kept slipping off his feet.  The store didn't have any other sizes - t was one of those discount places that has a lot of random items where you go back a week later and they don't have any of the same stuff.  I horribly forgot to note the brand name when I returned them - I remember arrogantly thinking "I'll remember the name and order a size smaller on line" and now can't remember what the brand was, and I can't find them anywhere.  All I can recall is what they looked like (two toned leather) and that they came in a purple box.  I've googled repeatedly and can't find the same boots no matter how I search.

During my googling I did see the Pawz, and all I thought was "are those balloons?  is someone charging an insulting price for dog foot balloons?"  Considering the amount of ice, snow, sand and salt he's exposed to on each walk, I thought from the pictures that they look flimsy and possibly too slippery, but it's hard to tell without actually seeing them.  Are they fairly tough in your perception Wombat?

As a side note, we do have the musher's wax, but that doesn't help at all for him when it comes to his feet getting too cold.  It does help prevent cracking and splitting, which is good though.   

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:54:35 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 04:36:43 am »

This might be an alternate solution.

Okay, probably not, but it is awesome because Corgis are awesome.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 05:14:09 am »

If your dog needs a booty I think there are plastic surgeons that can help you out. IDK, i've never looked into it, but you can find anything on google these days.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 06:31:24 am »

If your dog needs a booty I think there are plastic surgeons that can help you out. IDK, i've never looked into it, but you can find anything on google these days.
Hiram might be able to help you with that.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 01:08:12 pm »

Hiram might be able to help you with that.

Or Sir Mix-a-lot's Vet.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 01:18:02 pm »

The Pawz and tougher and less slippery than balloons and they are quite cheap compared to the boots we sell. They don't last forever but they aren't meant to be thrown away after one use either.

As for regular boots we don't sell one in a purple box so I can' t help you there. I can look at what we have tomorrow - I don't have the brand names in my head, thankfully, god knows I am already using too much of my limited brain capacity for this sort of information. But in general, don't buy the cheapest kind because they tend to slip off even if they are the right size.  Some kinds have only one velcro strap holding them on and some have two - look for the kind with two. That's for the kind that are completely soft and flexible There is also the kind that is more like a real shoe with a molded rubber sole. Those are so crazy expensive that I feel uncomfortable even suggesting them to people.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 03:42:18 pm »

That's the thing - the ones I bought were the molded rubber sole kind.  I had seen them at a pet store last year for $60, but the same ones I bought at the discount store were $17.  I'm going to have to go back to that damn pet store to figure out the brand, and possibly just give up the ghost and buy them for way too much money.  I'm thinking that's what I'm going to have to do.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 06:23:50 pm »

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 06:50:14 pm »

That's the funniest thing I've seen all week.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 06:58:12 pm »

That's exactly what some of the dogs at the store do when they try on the boots, minus the falling off the table part.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 03:01:23 am »

If I tried those on my cat he'd slit my throat in my sleep.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 03:17:15 am »

If I tried those on my cat he'd slit my throat in my sleep.

Yeah, but he couldn't get ahold of the knife with those things on.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Dog Booties?
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 03:45:49 am »

He would cut those things to ribbons with his claws.

Actually, you're probably right. He'd probably just smother me with them.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up