Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Keith Urban  (Read 3303 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Keith Urban
« on: November 26, 2010, 07:45:11 am »

Had heard of him before today, but not actually heard him.  Apparently he's a big deal these days all playing at the halftime of the Cowboys game.  I had assumed for some reason that he was Country and Western, but he seems to be channeling Bryan Adams.  Anyway, he was pretty yucky.  Thoughts...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 01:57:30 pm »

We had exactly the same conversation yesterday.

Hmmm.  Keith Urban.  George Jones.  Johnny Cash.  Merle Haggard....

Maybe Bob and Susan can help us...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 03:48:33 pm »

I had the game on briefly while doing something where I was not looking at the screen and first I thought "the lady singing sounds terrible."  Then I looked up and thought "Keith Urban is terrible." Then "Keith Urban sounds like a terrible lady singer."  Then I watched mesmerized as that terrible lady voice came out of that man.  Probably the first time I've heard that guy sing.  Astonishingly bad.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:56:31 pm »

nu-country is the best way to describe his music.  which is to say, its not really new, and its not really country.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 04:00:43 pm »

According to his Wiki he's married to Nicole Kidman.  Does that mean that he's another closeted gay man using her as a beard just like Tom Cruise did for many years?  I mean that is, if you believe the rumors about Cruise.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 05:12:33 pm »

Yes and yes.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 05:14:06 pm »

wtf is a keith urban and why do I care?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 05:18:01 pm »

"Keith Urban sounds like a terrible lady singer." 

OK, now I am sort of intrigued.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 06:15:22 pm »

he's no karl urban, that's for sure
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 06:48:00 pm »

Yes and yes.

What are the basis of the Tom Cruise is gay rumors?  Is there some concrete evidence that I am overlooking or do you just know.  I mean, because for me personally, I just don't see it.

Apparently he's from Louisville.  Hey Frank is this what a gay Kentuckian looks like?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 07:25:25 pm »

i get more psycho and self-righteous prick vibes than gay vibes.  i also dont believe in gay vibes, so theres that...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 08:03:40 pm »

Other than the countless lawsuits and the joining-a-pseudoreligion-that-claims-to-cure-The-Gay and the weird sham marriages that don't display a mote of sexual chemistry and the greater-than-9000 rumours of bathhouse hook-ups and the fact that as a paid actor he can't fake chemistry with women on-screen EVEN THOUGH THAT IS HIS JOB and he accidentally creates chemistry with men on-screen EVEN THOUGH THAT IS THE OPPOSITE OF HIS JOB?

His particular kind of psycho and self-righteous prickness is of the type that is of a person desperately trying to hide SOMETHING. But the thing is, almost anything else in the world he could be trying to keep a secret about would not damage his marketability as a leading man in movies, what with celebrity culture as it is today, nearly anything else would be forgiven within three months, except that if he admitted he was gay, middle-aged ladies in Iowa would no longer go to movies where he pretended to like a lady. And he would make less money.

Nine times out of ten, that is someone trying to hide homosexuality in a field where open homosexuality is not accepted or at least was not accepted when they were coming up through the ranks of that career field. Christian church leader, conservative politician, leading-man-type actor, etc. While the community of male actors generally has a higher concentration of homosexuals than most others, Tommy came up in a time where if you were obvious about it, you were instantly typecast into small campy comedies or character roles or had to be the uncle on "Bewitched" or something.

There are probably hundreds of people making their money off of being in Tom Cruise's circle and they're all scared that if he comes out, he'll go from making 50 million dollars a year to "only" 5 million dollars a year, forcing him to only employ hangers-on in the dozens instead of the hundreds and so they talk him out of coming out in a manifestation of their own fear.

Dude's gay. Dude's REALLY REALLY gay. Nothing wrong with it other than how far he's gone to pretend he isn't, of course, but it is also arguable that it is REALLY REALLY WRONG how much he is pretending, in this day and age.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 08:38:33 pm »

Well alrighty then.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 09:23:52 pm »

Infer a man has a lady voice, and suddenly it's an excercize in outing the closeted. 

I don't believe gender or sexual identity are black and white or even fixed over the long term, so to me outing Cruise or anyone is moot. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Keith Urban
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 09:33:08 pm »

Fixed? I'd never say that, no.

But I would say that most people have some portion or another of the Kinsey scale that they're generally gonna fall into if they're in their comfort zone. A median or mode point in what they're into, even if that average is down-the-middle bisexual or bigendered or whathaveya.

And you could probably argue that if a whole bunch of celebrities copped to their place in that range en masse, it could hasten some changes politicially and possibly make it easier for kids dealing with realizing where they go on that scale and so on.

The debate as to how much of their personal life a celebrity "owes" to causes in the public sphere, though, is a complicated one, I'll admit.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up