Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tax cuts  (Read 15636 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Tax cuts
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:12:24 pm »

Fox News is sabre-rattling about the tax cuts - the implication is that the Dems are holding things up because they want families making less than $50k to have to pay $3k more in taxes, when in reality it's the GOP who wants the families making $500k to not have to pay $10k more and therefore they want all the tax cuts extended, when the rich guys could probably stand to pay a bit more (and notice the difference in proportions there).

I hate Fox News, and I hate Boehner.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:45:03 pm »

death is the best tax cut ever
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 08:36:04 pm »

all the super-hiked revenues since reagan's days in office haven't solved our issues, maybe it's time to stop relying so much on revenues and let some tax rates ease back up toward something more sane. something like the top 10% of earners in the US own 80% of the wealth in the nation, and the poverty and unemployment rolls just keep getting longer. this isn't a picture of a world-leading superpower, a land of opportunity. slowly but surely we're becoming an oligarchy masked as a republic, amassing a class of superelite rich who control the purse-strings and thereby our policies. something's gotta give.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:16:30 pm »

all the super-hiked revenues since reagan's days in office haven't solved our issues, maybe it's time to stop relying so much on revenues and let some tax rates ease back up toward something more sane. something like the top 10% of earners in the US own 80% of the wealth in the nation, and the poverty and unemployment rolls just keep getting longer. this isn't a picture of a world-leading superpower, a land of opportunity. slowly but surely we're becoming an oligarchy masked as a republic, amassing a class of superelite rich who control the purse-strings and thereby our policies. something's gotta give.


...becoming.   Rrrrright.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:30:20 pm »

When taxes go up, revenues go down.

You can change the revenuers game how-what you what, but there it is.

I think that's more true for those that don't have much as opposed to those that have lots. And if you'll note the comparo there, The haves are paying proportionally less than the have nots. I mean, 50k pays 3k and 500k pays 10k? I can do math. Yeah, yeah, the tax rate is higher for rich people, but we all know they don't pay it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 11:41:01 pm »

Yeah, yeah, the tax rate is higher for rich people, but we all know they don't pay it.
This is kind of a point that gets lost amongst the Eat The Rich crowd.  When the cost of paying taxes gets intolerable, more effort will go towards stashing/hiding income (offshore bank accounts, exploiting loopholes with the aid of lawyers specializing in byzantine tax code, etc).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 11:43:53 pm »

The highest income earners pay the bills in this country, they also buy the debt we print to perpetuate this contrived diabolical government death spiral. The uberwealthy and retired who live on dividends and interest have only recently been given the cap gains tax break.
Heres what IM saying: Keep those cap taxes out of the picture while taxing the hell out high-incomes and more people will retire and live off their investments. The old senior management is then out of the picture, sucking the junior management into higher positions for less pay - saving the company money they can then use to hire more labor = more people working, higher profits, less unemployment, more people paying into the tax system to support the entitlement programs.
I've heard two other schemes Im not willing to get behind: Tax wealth, not income. You start taxing Dick Fuld's 450 million dollar art collection, and he'll be more likely to spread the money to other more productive ends.

The other one would only make sense to an economist: Tax the lowest earners the highest amount, because you know, they need some motivation to work harder so they can pay less taxes.

In other tax related news, I learned today that the government wants to subsidize my R&D budget with a tax credit (because they want us to invent things in America)... so now the race is on to make things be R&D costs.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:48:30 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 12:21:21 am »

man, I really like that now, when I read people saying that 250k isn't that rich, I can say "that is considerably more than 10 times my income."

I cannot imagine what I would do with that much money.

(OK, actually, I guess I can if I had a family and kids and house and car and stuff. otherwise, it's guitars all the way down.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 12:31:58 am »

250k doesn't get you into the stratosphere like it used to, and with inflation, $1M=$250k by the time we're looking at retirement. If you made $250k a year you would likely buy and maintain home and family. Or you could do what my friends are doing and just look for a f'ing island to buy where you can escape all the people you pissed off while you were making your money. Seriously people, young, single, married-to-their-careers, aggressive dudes with nothing to spend money on has resulted in a really entertaining scenario that involves guns, lion steak, and conversations about the best island to buy.

Everything in the world is like some Dada performance art piece and we've all been roped into acting gigs.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 12:42:23 am »

Says the guy talking to a point I already left in the dust...

Well, let's not get all excited about not staying on topic, given the thread didn't stay on topic two posts.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 12:58:41 am »

Everything in the world is like some Dada performance art piece and we've all been roped into acting gigs.

Is it too late for me to audition for a different part?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 01:00:44 am »

Interesting thing about 250k...it ain't rich, at least not that right now kind of rich...but if you live smart and give it 40 years you can go to your golden years doing PDG.

This is awesome. I love that it has come to this. You live smart, making 250k/yr, and in 40 years you can do pretty damn good. The rest of you lollygagging goldbrickers can go hang.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 01:07:23 am »

Admit it, man, private islands are more interesting anyways.
"I just want a fortress on an island where I can store my toys and guns. And it has to be remote enough that the only way to get to me is by helicopter and boat. If someone wants to bother me, they're gonna have to jump through some serious fuck*ng hoops"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 02:22:13 am »

But will there be cell phone reception?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Tax cuts
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 02:29:15 am »

But will there be cell mobile phone reception?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up