Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Solar Power  (Read 5012 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Solar Power
« on: December 01, 2010, 11:56:15 am »

Theres a company jumping up and down around here about how they can solar power your home for free. When I looked into it, it looks like a lease plan where they put the panels in, I get the tax breaks, and they get the power? I'm not clear yet on how this all goes down, so I was wondering if any of you have also looked into going solar.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 03:07:54 pm »

historical neighborhood, rainforest canopy. nope.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 03:17:32 pm »

It's on the agenda.  We have a number of other home projects that need to be done first.  But we have a big-ass south-facing room with little tree cover, so it has some potential.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 03:23:23 pm »

I interviewed a guy who had it done and was selling power back to the electric company when he had extra. He said sometimes he would enjoy watching the meter running backwards.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 05:35:29 pm »

I've looked into it in PDX. Where we're at, the homeowner sells any excess back to the utility. There are a lot of houses in our neighborhood with panels, and I have a nice flattish garage roof for them with great southern exposure. I have to get my basement wrapped up and then my chimney rebuilt. Probably next year it'll happen.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 06:16:25 pm »

I've got lots of southern footage and plenty of rooftop. Had a talk with a guy last weekend but he couldn't answer (damn sales puke) any of my engineering and design questions and he crapped out on the financing side as well.

He's kicking me over to the next level, we'll see how they do.

The way he was propping it was with zero money up front, financing set to a monthly payment level that is equivalent to our average monthly electric bill.

So of course my questions are around system lifespan, maintenance and expected annual cost, warranty and support along with loan term, interest and how (against what) it is secured.

We'll see if I like the answers or not.

Please report back.  That sounds interesting.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 08:44:45 pm »

We're on a 4 year plan of getting away from this house and moving into PDX from the Here There Be Dragons, USA.

Any large scale renovations are off the table.  Though I would LOVE to do that in the new house.

I'll be watching, Nabu.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 02:51:56 am »

So of course my questions are around system lifespan, maintenance and expected annual cost, warranty and support along with loan term, interest and how (against what) it is secured.

Especially with maintenance costs and so on it seems like the sort of thing you're not going to get a straight answer on from the people selling it to you. Any related forums or just folks you know in real life that have it?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 05:31:11 pm »

Smick, I'll let you know if things work out. We're almost done with the cosmic fuckery that has been our basement remodel. Holy fuck do I hope those guys get jailed. Also, the chimney is going to be a bit of a hassle, but i think we can knock both projects out next year.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 04:25:51 am »

Guys with their shit together and the brass balls to do that kinda shit are priceless.

I now assume you're being sold solar panels by Alec Baldwin from Glengarry Glenross.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 06:54:39 am »

Always
Be
Charging
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 01:24:53 pm »

Always
Be
Charging
People don't walk on the lot unless they want to go solar....'Who am I? Who am I? I drove here in a self-charging customized hybrid, you drove here in a diesel truck and all you're hauling is 200lbs of moron. Thats who I am, and thats who you are."
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 03:15:59 pm »

Put. The organic sun-brewed fair-trade herbal tea. Down. Tea is for closers.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 03:20:16 pm »

We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Tesla Roadster. Anybody want to see second prize? Second prize is a juicer. Third prize is you're fired.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Power
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 06:37:06 am »

I hate that I am This Person, but I would be much more gung-ho about going solar if my front lawn wasn't also facing south.  But realistically I need to worry about putting new shingles on the roof before I put solar panels on it.

Plus I think we're in the end days of our current photovoltaic tech.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up