Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid  (Read 8419 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« on: December 07, 2010, 01:19:15 am »

I was reminded today how it was that I came to learn how to tie a tie. It was Easter and I had to know this process, but did not have anyone to ask. So my genius idea was to search AOL profiles for the word "CEO" - because a CEO needs to know how to tie a tie. So there I was, a young naive kid, IMing random CEOs to find out how to tie a tie. Eventually I landed on a private pilot in Florida who walked me through the process via Instant Message as we sat simultaneously tieing our ties in front of our computers.   :-\
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 02:04:21 am »

That is mind-boggling to me, for three reasons:

1) That's an incredibly clever way to use the tools you had available, kudos on thinking outside the box

2) I didn't have internet access at home until my junior year of high school

3) There wasn't anybody you could ask how to tie a tie on Easter? That might be the Saddest Thing.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 02:11:00 am »

jay-ell the internet wasn't available at home until we were juniors in high school. i learned how to tie my tie from esquire magazine, which i've been subscribing to since i started college. until then my dad just tied a tie and loosened it for me to put on over my head
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 02:36:34 am »

This is mind-boggling to me because this is so clearly the child who grew up to be A-Cap.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 03:04:25 am »

Word.

My dad showed me how to tie a tie, but I think I've always disappointed him because I don't tie 'em full Windsor anymore. I got internet at home maybe a week before I discovered Achewood/WiGU/Diesel Sweeties/Dumbrella.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 03:10:28 am »

I mean my mom was great and all, but I think she enjoyed the theater of watching me find new and different ways to do basic stuff. The result of that process is this eccentric dude who feels like no problem is too large.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 03:14:26 am »

This is mind-boggling to me because this is so clearly the child who grew up to be A-Cap.

OK, yes, that too. But in a way, it kind of explains a lot.

I learned to tie a tie when I was in grade school. My mom taught me at the same time she taught my brother. It was a given that women needed to know how to tie ties, too, so we could teach our sons.

Later, when I worked at a restaurant, the skill came in very handy.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 03:50:35 am »

Shouldn't you have called a haberdasher?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 04:39:43 am »

my dad talks frequently about how he had to teach himself to shave. His mom decided it was a "man thing" that she couldn't teach him, even though... girls shave. This process involved a lot of a product called "liquid skin."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 04:47:53 am »

there was no dad, but there were family friends who were dudes that showed me and my younger brother how to tie a tie(i was twelve, he was ten, and the youngest two didnt need to care).  i only knew the half windsor until last year because of curiosity and a video on artofmanliness.com.

those same dudes explained shaving, but i had to do the actual learning on my own.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 04:53:35 am »

my dad talks frequently about how he had to teach himself to shave. His mom decided it was a "man thing" that she couldn't teach him, even though... girls shave. This process involved a lot of a product called "liquid skin."
And I get where I am because people like your dad recognize my plight and guide me. See you fell into a situation that was created by your father's endless hard work, I didn't. People like your father are caught in a conflict where they have figured out how to get where they are, but do not know how to make their children recreate that situation. So here you are working at a grocery store at an age where he was trying to take over the world.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:22:06 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 05:02:18 am »

I was taught how to tie a tie by my second grade teacher.  It was part of the curriculum at Sydney Grammar Prep.  Full Windsor, no less.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 05:09:17 am »

My dad taught me the Windsor, but I can't think of the last time I used it.  I stick to the simpler Four-in-Hand.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 05:47:08 am »

Quote
People like your father are caught in a conflict where they have figured out how to get where they are, but do not know how to make their children recreate that situation. So here you are working at a grocery store at an age where he was trying to take over the world.

actually at my age he still thought he wanted to go into government, and was working at a job that made him so nervous that he puked in the bathroom, every single day.
weird.

but I do think about the things you just said a lot.
I think this job is changing a lot of my priorities in re: "I want to have a job where I get to make decisions, and earn money."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 07:04:00 am »

His mom decided it was a "man thing" that she couldn't teach him, even though... girls shave.

Not so much.  Not back then.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up