Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid  (Read 8421 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 08:38:47 am »

Not so much.  Not back then.
In my head that sounds weirdly ominous.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 12:51:57 pm »

actually at my age he still thought he wanted to go into government, and was working at a job that made him so nervous that he puked in the bathroom, every single day.
weird.

but I do think about the things you just said a lot.
I think this job is changing a lot of my priorities in re: "I want to have a job where I get to make decisions, and earn money."
Yeah I mean, I know you're a smart guy and I've talked to you on the phone so I know you're generally kind, but at some point along the road you were able to say "I'll study anthropology" and remain comfortable. Taking 4 years out of my life to study how people did shit in Egypt wasn't going to pay my bills so I went into finance.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 12:57:06 pm »

This is mind-boggling to me because this is so clearly the child who grew up to be A-Cap.
Well I know there are some aspiring authors kicking around here. If someone wants to jot down some of my adventures and misadventures I'd be willing to talk to them. I've been told numerous times that the story of my being carjacked at gunpoint is nothing short of a short-film worth of entertainment. (Guys.... I had a gun to my head and I told the asshole he couldn't smoke in the car he was trying to jack... while I was "kidnapped" in the car with him)
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 01:26:39 pm »

In fact my first thought was "I have to use that in a book." Although my second thought was not being sure anyone would believe it.

I mean my mom was great and all, but I think she enjoyed the theater of watching me find new and different ways to do basic stuff.

If this had occurred to me, I might have had children.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 01:30:04 pm »

Yeah I mean, I know you're a smart guy and I've talked to you on the phone so I know you're generally kind, but at some point along the road you were able to say "I'll study anthropology" and remain comfortable. Taking 4 years out of my life to study how people did shit in Egypt wasn't going to pay my bills so I went into finance.

This reminds me of what a friend of mine said about being worried that her children would grow up without all the disadvantages.

Although, some of us were stupid enough to do that sort of thing even though it didn't pay the bills, which just shows exactly how poor my grasp of finance is. "Oh, they will pay me a stipend that is just enough to share an apartment and buy groceries for five years of grad school? So I can get a degree that qualifies me for, like, five job openings a year in the whole country? Sign me up!"
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 02:35:29 pm »

So there are different ways to tie a tie? On the rare occasion I wear one I tie it the way that was in the cub scout handbook circa 1988.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 02:50:18 pm »

I remember the carjack deal. Those were fun times.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 02:54:47 pm »

wasn't going to pay my bills so I went into finance.

You must have some freaky high bills.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 02:59:34 pm »


Quote
I mean my mom was great and all, but I think she enjoyed the theater of watching me find new and different ways to do basic stuff.

If this had occurred to me, I might have had children.

I'm watching my kid figure out how to make words out of letters. It's actually REALLY COOL to see him take a pack of alphabet stickers, sit down for twenty minutes, and then bring me a sentence that is more or less phonetically readable. It is hard not to correct him or offer him a spelling he is struggling with, but I am actively trying to create the "figure it out" experience here, too.

He has got sounding-out down pat, as long as there are no curveballs like silent letters.

Also, I always planned to make my kids pay their own way through college, even if I could afford to send them, but having a kid with autism forces me to rethink that. Attending classes might be all he can handle, if he chooses to go (which, given his strong academic leanings even at Kindergarten-age, I think he will). I don't think there is a significant risk of anything being "too easy" for him, ever.

The girl, on the other hand...
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 03:08:07 pm »

I'm bought my own degree and I think I'm better off for having done it. Maybe especially because my mom could have paid for it, having transitioned from nursing to real estate by taking classes in the evenings as a single mom raising 4 boys. I think that sort of inspired me not to whine much about how hard it all was.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 03:12:30 pm »

My dad taught me the half-Windsor years ago.  But about 15 years back, GQ or Esquire published an item with four different ways to tie your tie.  I tried them all and settled on the Shelby knot, in which you start with the back side of the tie facing out. 
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 04:15:44 pm »

I'm bought my own degree and I think I'm better off for having done it. Maybe especially because my mom could have paid for it, having transitioned from nursing to real estate by taking classes in the evenings as a single mom raising 4 boys. I think that sort of inspired me not to whine much about how hard it all was.

my childhood was essentially the same, except my mom raised me and my 3 brothers while going to Penn State-Mon Alto to study Child Psychology and Early Childhood Development, working full time at an agency that helped migrant worker families, AND doing spanish-translation-for-cash on the side.  she wasnt able to finish her degree, though.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 04:24:47 pm »

That's pretty benevolent. My Mom did deliver food to needy families (feeling the need to stick up for Mom, here).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 04:37:34 pm »

I'm bought my own degree and I think I'm better off for having done it. Maybe especially because my mom could have paid for it, having transitioned from nursing to real estate by taking classes in the evenings as a single mom raising 4 boys. I think that sort of inspired me not to whine much about how hard it all was.

I paid my own way, and in fact am still paying it (thanks, Sallie Mae!). My brother got a scholarship and my parents covered his room and board, so he didn't have to work (it was a soccer scholarship, though, so he wouldn't have had time to get a job even if he'd wanted one, what with soccer practice every night and games all weekend most of the year.)

I didn't get a scholarship, and I chose an expensive private school, so I took out student loans on top of working part-time. Mom and dad offered to cover my room and board, to keep things fair, but I opted to live at home. So they bought me my first car, instead. It seems I got the better end of the deal, actually.

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 06:37:47 pm »

Quote
Yeah I mean, I know you're a smart guy and I've talked to you on the phone so I know you're generally kind, but at some point along the road you were able to say "I'll study anthropology" and remain comfortable. Taking 4 years out of my life to study how people did shit in Egypt wasn't going to pay my bills so I went into finance.
Like I said (vaguely), my dad was a poli-sci major and worked for the department of education. I still have time to have a change of heart and get an MBA, I guess.

My parents still believe that any college degree will get you a good job. I am trying to explain to them that that is not true anymore, but they do not believe me. Even more so with the idea that people go to grad school and can't get jobs afterwards.
It is not OK for me to say "mom, you have a PhD, how many jobs have you had in the last 25 years?"

the experience of paying their own way through college made my parents swear that they would not make their kids do that. Their view is: what is the point of making money if we're just going to make our kids go through the same shit we did.

I dunno, I don't think I'm a lost cause yet.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up