Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: second-hand exposure  (Read 2942 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
second-hand exposure
« on: December 07, 2010, 04:55:33 am »

harry carey, for me.  i didnt know who he was until i saw will ferrell impersonate him on SNL.  at first i thought i was laughing my nards off at some fake character who spent a lot of time in outer space.  i never followed sports closely enough to know he was real.

for the sake of reference
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:08:36 am »

Oddly enough, I first learned about Christopher Walken through Jay Mohr's SNL impression.

No videos on youtube, but here are transcripts of two of the skits:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/93cwalken.phtml

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/94/94qskittles.phtml
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 02:38:32 pm »

Harry Carery, yes. As mentioned elsewhere recently the "traveling bumpkin" dude from the Simpsons whose name I already forget. I thought Lil John was just a Chapelle's Show character for years.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 04:02:42 pm »

Not Cletus the slack-jawed yokel?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 04:26:23 pm »

Not Cletus the slack-jawed yokel?

Howell Huser (thanks, Google!)
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 05:13:50 pm »

Is that the dude who was referenced in the other thread?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 05:34:06 pm »

Is that the dude who was referenced in the other thread?

The Simpsons version of him, yeah
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 09:26:56 pm »

I learned of Citizen Kane through various references in cartoons.

Also there was some reference to Of Mice and Men in some Warner Brothers cartoon (maybe the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show?) when I was a kid.  I can't remember where I got it, but I quoted a line from the cartoon and remember my dad was all impressed that I knew about Lenny and the bunny rabbits, and I didn't want to let him down by clarifying that I got it from a cartoon rather than the book so I just pretended I had read the book in my spare time. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 09:38:14 pm »

I'm still not convinced Rex Ryan (especially starting at 1:45) is real.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 11:31:52 pm »

I'm sure there are lots of things that fit into this category for me, but I can't think of any right now.  About the only thing that comes to mind is The Beatles did a lot of cover versions that I probably assumed were original when I was little such as Money (That's what I want) and You've Really Got a Hold on Me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 11:48:42 pm »

I just read something about Elvis Costello thinking that Roll Over Beethoven was an original by them when it first came out.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 12:33:56 am »

I learned of Citizen Kane through various references in cartoons.

Also there was some reference to Of Mice and Men in some Warner Brothers cartoon (maybe the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show?) when I was a kid.  I can't remember where I got it, but I quoted a line from the cartoon and remember my dad was all impressed that I knew about Lenny and the bunny rabbits, and I didn't want to let him down by clarifying that I got it from a cartoon rather than the book so I just pretended I had read the book in my spare time. 

Both of these. And as I've mentioned before I was well into high school before I knew that the horn from Dukes of Hazzard wasn't a tune made up for the show.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 12:37:13 am »

I think there's probably a lot of stuff from Warner Bros cartoons for me like that, just because they did so much parodying of Hollywood and other cultural touchstones, and I got it all secondhand (meaning long after it was originally released). I'm fairly sure the first time I saw Bogart and Lorre was there.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 12:55:02 am »

I just read something about Elvis Costello thinking that Roll Over Beethoven was an original by them when it first came out.

Yeah, that's another one, but I learned better about that one fairly early.  I was much older when I learned that Money wasn't an original of theirs.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: second-hand exposure
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 01:01:54 am »

almost any TV show that was referenced on Family Guy when I was of Family Guy-watching age.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up