Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010  (Read 4145 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« on: December 10, 2010, 10:44:38 am »

Another new strip. The man is on a roll. Of sorts.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12102010
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:48:42 pm by wombat »
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:51:18 pm »

Oh man, I know I shouldn't be complaining about a new strip but I do not need to be so depressed so early in the morning.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 01:28:36 pm »

Ooops, my bad for not putting the date in the subject. Thanks for editing it wombat.

Roast Beef is a sad cat. I can only imagine that Onstad is a sad man to write this. There's not so much of The Funny, but just the owch.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 11:04:07 pm »

i love roast beef.

but is this strip telling us that roast beef is not roast beef because he is himself, but because aliens are finger pointing depression on him?

do not want.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 01:25:10 am »

Huh, the second time gynecomastia has come up this week.

Think he redrew the floor/light frames? The eyes look different at least.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 01:34:34 am »

When he is a guest speaker, he has moobs.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 06:05:10 am »

Hell of chubby, yo.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 12:56:52 pm »

Hell of hardly anything to say about a strip for a bunch of people who complain so much when there isn't one.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 03:45:19 pm »

Yeah, what is there to say though?  This strip conjures two things for me:  it seems disjointed.  It's not a bad strip, it just feels disconnected for me, probably because the last story line still feels unresolved.  The other thing I think when I read this one is that its seem to transparently relate to Onstad's own fears, which leaves me feeling bad for the guy.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 04:33:06 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

xSxFx

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 06:44:39 pm »

This is hard to relate to for me, which it really shouldn't be given who I am. The good Beef/depression strips didn't feel the need to have wacky non-sequiturs every other panel. Shouldn't a comic about depression be depressing.

It feels like Onstad is trying to write depressed cat comix but dodging the big bullets.

And I know it's probably Bad to wax psychoanalytic on a web comic author but v0v I have no mental association to go with "Connecticut-style", this is all this is giving me
Logged
ja ikuisuus on tässä

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 06:04:24 am »

connecticut-style involves traditional ideas such as community togetherness and wholesome family-oriented junk like that.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 08:17:19 am »

Those people are from the future, arkabee.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 03:45:13 am »

Those people are from the future, arkabee.

i... i don't understand at _all_.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 05:06:59 am »

The people saying "roast who?" are future talking cats. Roast Beef is forgotten and they do not care about his former existence.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Dullscythe

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 22
  • :(
    • View Profile
Re: I was once just like you - Dec 10 2010
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 08:56:42 am »

also it is not depression they are pointing with their fingers, they are wearing game controllers or maybe they do jobs with those
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up