Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bourbon  (Read 3456 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Bourbon
« on: December 15, 2010, 11:23:41 pm »

Ladies and Gents,

I drew my brother-in-law's name for our annual gift exchange, and when I looked up his wishlist I noticed that a couple of books about bourbon and the history therof were right on top. I can get him one of the books for $12 and have $13 - $18 left to get him something to sample. Has anybody tried a bourbon that's really special? I like the stuff, but I'm fairly limited in my experience to the more common brands like Wild Turkey and Jim Beam. (Let's not even talk about Maker's Mark.)

So, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:15:54 am »

*cough* AW is the only expert? Fine.

I won't note that Elijah Craig is a great brand with a fantastic bottle price. You can usually find a 375ml of the 12-year for under $20. Woodford Reserve makes bottles in the $13-$18 range. Baker's and Booker's are excellent, but a bit pricey, and this Blanton's I was just gifted is delicious. It's often laughed at, but Bulleitt is very good quality for its price, and the bottle feels great in your hand. I haven't tried this Heaven Hill that ash mentioned, but I do like Evan Williams.

Every bourbon drinker needs a good flask, if you don't hate that idea, or if you get flustered trying to choose.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:54:51 am »

I used to really like Bulleitt, and the cool thing is that it's not terribly expensive and doesn't look all hoity-toity so you can drink it in the woods whilst shooting guns and shit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:28:20 am »

a good thing to do is put bourbon with eggnog.

just so you guys don't get mad at me, I use really, really bad bourbon.

lately I get really drunk and embarrass myself at parties. This is mostly why.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:29:23 am »

The flask is a great idea -- so great, in fact, that I used it a few years ago!

Keep the suggestions coming. I will be printing this topic and taking it to the liquor store with me, so go ahead and give me all the pertinent details about anything and everything I might ever need to know.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 01:56:34 am »

I've heard whiskey stones are good with a quality bourbon as they neither water it down nor chill it too much as ice would. True?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 02:06:23 am »

Here is a place to definitely order whiskey stones:

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/whiskey-stones.cfm
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 02:07:36 am »

That link is sold out, but that's a good idea and I've seen them at ThinkGeek, oddly enough.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 02:42:30 am »

That link is sold out, but that's a good idea and I've seen them at ThinkGeek, oddly enough.

Think Geek does have them. I believe Amazon also has them Prime-eligible.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 02:58:37 am »

is the taste of bourbon reminiscent of licking the inside of a chimney?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 03:08:24 am »

No, that's scotch.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 03:42:09 am »

I am not really an expert anymore since I quit drinking.  But the suggestions are good.  Woodford Reserve, Bulliet, Booker's.  All good stuff. 

Bring him up here and I'll take you around to all the distilleries.  I was supposed to go have lunch at Labrot and Graham today (where they make Woodford Reserve), but I had a conference that wasn't over in time.  Too bad.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 12:32:07 pm »

lately I get really drunk and embarrass myself at parties. This is mostly why.

Too soon, Daniel!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 11:58:12 pm »

I cheated and went for the more general "whiskey" theme, and ended up getting him this book and a bottle of Catdaddy Carolina Moonshine.  Catdaddy is the product of the only legal distillery in North Carolina. It's a corn whiskey that happens to be featured in the book I bought, and I thought since BIL is interested in the process and history of alcohol production (according to my SIL) it might turn him on to the idea of touring the distillery sometime in the future.

This Christmas is all about education.

If BIL opens the bottle and decides to share on Christmas, I'll let you know how it is.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 12:08:49 am »

catdaddy is DELISH. tastiest, dessertiest 'shine i've ever had. vanilla and nutmeg to the point you almost can't taste the alcohol. but please, no more than one shot, else nobody knows where i'll wake up.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up