Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra  (Read 10816 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 04:30:40 pm »

****SCRIPTIVIST
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 05:07:41 pm »

yo dude, join the club! (or you are saying you no longer do that?)


...but seriously, we should hang out again. be on the look-out for free events.
Yeah, I have a different full-time gig starting on Monday. We should. We should. Maybe we could start a fire in our condo association's empty pool.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 07:30:50 pm »

Quote from: pmcd9
But what about Mannheim Steamroller and Trans Siberian Orchestra specifically?

Ah but I consider encouraging Thread Wander to be my sacred duty.

So it is important to stretch the premise as much as possible.

(I think that both of the above, I really love the first few times I hear their Christmas songs in the season and then hate like hell the rest of the way. So it still works.(
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 07:43:55 pm »

I have never heard of Trans Siberian Orchestra. I have heard the name Mannheim Steamroller but I don't know what their music is.

I think perhaps I will leave it that way. I just realized that I am actually scheduled to work TWENTY hours with the Christmas radio station next week, so I have enough problems as it is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 08:21:49 pm »

Maybe this is what made the Grinch so grinchy.

Either that or his parents were mugged and killed in a dark alley after a screening of Zorro.

By Santa Claus.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 08:47:57 pm »

I have never heard of Trans Siberian Orchestra. I have heard the name Mannheim Steamroller but I don't know what their music is.

I think perhaps I will leave it that way. I just realized that I am actually scheduled to work TWENTY hours with the Christmas radio station next week, so I have enough problems as it is.

I first heard of TSO from Snopes. Of course not long after Snopes confirmed this it got turned into a beer ad
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 11:57:03 pm »

It would be better if it was TSOL. I could probably listen to more xmas music by them. Well, until they got all hair metal.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 12:18:18 am »

I was going to argue with Wombat and say that people are Wrong if they think that Bing Crosby is Classical music, and then I remembered that there are people out there who think it is stupid and incorrect to say that Bach was a classical composer.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 01:13:18 am »

I was going to argue with Wombat and say that people are Wrong if they think that Bing Crosby is Classical music, and then I remembered that there are people out there who think it is stupid and incorrect to say that Bach was a classical composer.

And all of those people are on the internet.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 01:34:47 am »

To be fair some of them probably refuse to use the internet. Or watch television. Those ones are probably in universities though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 02:09:04 am »

It is a perfectly common and normal thing for a word to mean different things in different contexts. Bach is a classical composer if you are comparing him to John Lennon and not a classical composer if you are comparing him to Mozart. But Bing Crosby is never a classical act no matter who you are comparing him to. SIGH. Did I mention TWENTY HOURS next week.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 02:38:48 am »

Bach is a classical composer if you are comparing him to John Lennon and not a classical composer if you are comparing him to Mozart.

Hey, my other favorite Achewood quote!

IT'S ALL, CHING CHONG WING WONG
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 05:48:02 am »

Hey, my other favorite Achewood quote!

IT'S ALL, CHING CHONG WING WONG

ahhh the halcyon days
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2010, 07:42:24 am »

Yeah, I miss Achewood. Ah well.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 04:30:36 am »

Quote
It is a perfectly common and normal thing for a word to mean different things in different contexts.
Just to be clear, I understand this: the dude (professor) who was lecturing about the history of western music did not. Although he seemed resigned to the fact that people were going to keep calling all of it Classical Music, instead of Western Art Music or something like that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up