Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra  (Read 10840 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 01:48:38 pm »

Just to be clear, I understand this: the dude (professor) who was lecturing about the history of western music did not.

Oy.

When I'm about to poke my own eardrums out later today, I will try saying to myself "at least you're not a college professor anymore."

Twenty hours of Christmas music this week starts in 1 hour and 15 minutes. I would seriously have quit this job over this last straw, being at the end of my tether after several hard months, and God knows I have become skilled at telling people to take this job and shove it. But A, I am not enough of a jerk to quit a job at a store the week before Christmas especially when I like these people and my dogs love hanging out there, and B, my agent and I just agreed on the topic of my next book and this job is a good place to collect material.

WISH ME LUCK.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 03:05:41 pm »

stay strong, just five more days and then it's nothing but valentine's ads
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 03:33:53 pm »

Oy.

When I'm about to poke my own eardrums out later today, I will try saying to myself "at least you're not a college professor anymore."

Twenty hours of Christmas music this week starts in 1 hour and 15 minutes. I would seriously have quit this job over this last straw, being at the end of my tether after several hard months, and God knows I have become skilled at telling people to take this job and shove it. But A, I am not enough of a jerk to quit a job at a store the week before Christmas especially when I like these people and my dogs love hanging out there, and B, my agent and I just agreed on the topic of my next book and this job is a good place to collect material.

WISH ME LUCK.

Good luck, and I'm oddly cheered to hear that you get day care, after your fashion.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 03:42:08 pm »

stay strong, just five more days and then it's nothing but valentine's ads

"every kiss begins with 'kay'!"

"he went to jared!"

[[puts fist through TV screen]]
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 04:09:50 pm »

"every kiss begins with 'kay'!"

"he went to jared!"

[[puts fist through TV screen]]

Aren't those 2 places, technically, the same store?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2010, 04:37:43 pm »

Quote from: wombat
I will try saying to myself "at least you're not a college professor anymore."

Oh, womz, you're my goddamned hero for saying this.

I am 31 years old and I still get lectures from my mom that I should'a just hung out in college until I got a doctorate and became a professor of such as English or Comparative Religion.

And I try to tell her "Mom, I know I have lived a weird life and teaching is a noble field but it was never for me. I would have ended up taking my own life had I become an academic."

Holy crap. My mom has been a nurse her whole life and has never wanted for a job and so she holds all other career paths against the standard of "safety".

And she thinks academia would'a been "safe" for me which... is deluded on all kindsa levels. I love my mom but... she is deluded on all kindsa levels.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 08:50:24 pm »

What decade is your mom living in? The odds of your getting a job as a professor in either one of those fields is so low that they ought to be legally restricted from admitting any more students to graduate programs. Seriously.  I used to be undergrad program director and I would have sued myself for malpractice if I had heard myself advising anyone to go to grad school in English with the goal of becoming an academic.

Seriously, do you need me to call her up and slap some sense into her? Because I swear I would do it.

Or have her read this. I think he is right about everything except that 30 is too old to find another career, which is absurd.
http://www.selloutyoursoul.com/2010/11/02/ph-d-job-hell-an-open-letter-to-thomas-h-benton-a-k-a-william-a-pannapacker-how-%E2%80%9Cgraduate-school-in-the-humanities-just-don%E2%80%99t-go%E2%80%9D-destroyed-my-ph-d-and-saved-my-life/

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2010, 08:57:01 pm »

My mom got a job as a nurse in a rural area where no one wanted to work, in the middle Seventies, and has been insulated from all sense of the job market ever since.

Her sense of what are "good stable" jobs is frozen in 1976.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 12:35:49 am »

Sounds like my ex with the whole "English and Psychology degrees ought to get us both $70k/year"

Or if we're lucky, $70k/year total. You know, with us both having second jobs.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 02:21:05 am »

my agent and I just agreed on the topic of my next book

Just to put things in perspective for you, I hope that someday before I die I can utter that very sentence.

Congratulations!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 02:46:15 am »

Thanks. Long before I die, I hope I can utter "my agent read the damn already-finished fiction I sent two months ago and told me she loved it and can sell it," but in the meantime, I do realize how much better I have it than most people.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 05:35:28 am »

But what about Mannheim Steamroller and Trans Siberian Orchestra specifically?

Someone's gotta be the Thomas Kinkade of Christmas music.  Someone's gotta be the culture for people who have a favorite NOW disc.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 02:27:33 pm »

Someone's gotta be the Thomas Kinkade of Christmas music. 

WHY???

No, I guess you are right. Sigh.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 03:14:49 pm »

Somebody has to be the Thomas Kinkade of every popular endeavor. The trick is to get them all in one place, so we can round them up and ship them off to the work camps.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mannheim Steamroller - Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 03:55:41 pm »

I had to google Thomas Kinkade, but yeah, that makes perfect sense.  They are all Republicans!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up