Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Christmas Chruestion.  (Read 8175 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 04:04:04 am »

Happy Life Day, everyone!

Wow, back in the days before YouTube and easy downloading, this was the sort of thing the geeks at the comic shop I worked at would circulate on VHS.  One of my coworkers was so horrified by it that he refused to acknowledge its existence.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 04:49:59 am »

Oh yeah.

The "Star Wars Holiday Special" is right up there with the low-budget "Fantastic Four" movie in terms of bootleg stuff.

I can never find that Tom Waits Austin City Limits, though. Dammit. Damn comic book show bootleg tables, not stocking enough fuckin' Tom Waits.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 06:08:45 am »

The one with the fake gas station on set?  One of the first times I was high around my dad I watched that.  It is fuck*ng rad.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 07:44:46 am »

Fuck yeah.

FUCK YEAH!

It is the best thing!

There's a few clips of it on Youtube and... a Euro-bootleg CD of it that is not the complete performance but...

The whole thing on DVD would punish a dude.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 01:59:54 pm »

I guess here is where I admit I'm not the world's biggest Tom Waits fan. Not like my wife, who hates him, but not a big fan, no.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 06:08:02 pm »

I'm pretty neutral on Tom Waits.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 06:21:52 pm »

I dunno.

I guess I just think of early Tom Waits and think:

"That is A Cool Person. That is exactly what A Cool Person looks and sounds like."

You get much radder than the Tom Waits of SMALL CHANGE and you just... die.

You die of rad poisoning. There is too much rad. Our pitiful human forms were not built to contain that much rad.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 07:00:23 pm »

Well, but rads. They are already a thing.

Yeah, Tom Waits seems like a fun, rad guy. Just the music and songs and shit, not doing it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 09:02:32 pm »

I've never really been able to get into Waits' music either.  From his music I get the sense that I would enjoy talking to him for hours and hours, yet the music itself... I just can't enjoy it that deeply.  On a more complex level, as a performer he is absolutely fascinating.  I think it's just that that sort of energy, which is so compelling when it's right in front of you, doesn't really translate well into studio recordings.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 09:37:54 pm »

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 02:54:28 am »

Yeah, he's easily one of the most interesting and coolest guys around.

I can see why one wouldn't be able to get into his music, and I don't want to be all "Rain Dogs changed my life," but Rain Dogs changed my life. And also, greatest performer ever. If you ever have a chance to see him don't pass it up.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:23:55 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 04:36:05 am »

The whole thing on DVD would punish a dude.

Do you have a dime account?

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=82866

I'm downloading it right now but won't get a chance to watch it until sometime this weekend, so I can't comment on quality or anything. Should be the same one, no?

If you don't have an account I'm sure we can make other... arrangements.

From the description:

Quote
Tom Waits - Austin City Limits
NTSC DVD

Setlist:

01. Burma Shave
02. Annie's Back In Town
03. I Wish I Was In New Orleans
04. A Sweet Little Bullet From A Pretty Blue Gun
05. On The Nickel
06. Romeo Is Bleeding
07. Silent Night
08. Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
09. Silent Night Reprise
10. Small Change


Notes:

This is the best version I have seen. I got this one in a trade. According to the trader it's a copy he bought from a guy specialized on video transfers. Check the screenshots below.

According to the trader, lineage should be something like this:

Recorded from TV to a standalone DVD recorder > ripped from DVD > edited (minor adjustements) > re-authored > burned to DVD and sent to the trader > ripped from DVD using DVD Decrypter
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 05:38:36 am »

Do you have a dime account?

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=82866

I'm downloading it right now but won't get a chance to watch it until sometime this weekend, so I can't comment on quality or anything. Should be the same one, no?

If you don't have an account I'm sure we can make other... arrangements.

From the description:



I've got what if you want a few albums you have been unable to find. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Another Christmas Chruestion.
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 10:52:11 pm »

Sweet..  So much cool music is coming my way.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up