Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Christmas Songs?  (Read 3130 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Best Christmas Songs?
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:08:47 pm »

I'm sucker for a good Christmas tune, especially if it's tinged with a bit of melancoly. 

The best Christmas song.  Name it.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 05:01:53 pm »

Sufjan Stevens "That Was The Worst Christmas Ever"?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 05:37:34 pm »

Death Cab for Cutie's version of "Christmas Baby Please Come Home."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 05:52:43 pm »

I hate to go all Pat on y'all but Robert Fripp's guitar-noise version of "Silent Night" kicks deep ass.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 06:15:16 pm »

I'm partial to Bon Jovi's version of "Please Come Home for Christmas," even if the video is a bit overwrought.

However, there is nothing in this whole wide world like BB King's "Merry Christmas Baby." There is no reason for that song ever to be recorded by anyone else ever again. King nailed it; we're done. He wins Christmas.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 08:15:50 pm »

baby it's cold outside

by basically anybody
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:19:19 pm »

See, I was just writing in my journal about this...

Am I the only person COMPLETELY creeped out by "Baby It's Cold Outside"?

It's kinda... date rapey... for what is supposed to be a cherished family-friendly Christmas standard.

"Officer, I don't know... I kept telling him 'no' over and over for like five minutes straight and... then I tasted something funny in my drink... and then I woke up the next morning not remembering anything after that."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:35:42 pm »

yeah, that song is so creepy.

so, so, so creepy.

it makes me think of this movie I watched where a big part of the central plotline was that this woman started telling everyone this guy had raped her, and he both wanted to stop her from telling people (so he wouldn't go to jail) and wanted her to tell people, so he could be seen as a man who gets laid.

or, you know, any old movie where the romance scenes seem really heavy on the forced kisses and weird threats.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 08:44:29 pm »

If we're talking about songs written in the twentieth century and later, it's obviously the Pogues' Fairytale of New York.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 08:53:48 pm »

For some reason, I started thinking of Rainn Wilson as sexy after this version of the aforementioned song.  

For me, O Holy Night is a song I feel deeply whenever I hear it in it's may versions.  It's an epic song in a lot of ways, with the whole "fall on your knees" concept of basically being struck down by the power of faith.  That line "the weary world rejoices" for some reason strongly resounds with me too.  I think in part it's because I live where I do - we're all pretty weary by the time Christmas rolls around,  usually there's been some harsh weather - blizzards, ice storms, etc.- and that there's hope for some rebirth, right around the time there's almost no day light... it touches me.  I loved singing that song at Catholic school.  Still feel the cockels of my shrivelled atheist hard quiver when I hear it now.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 08:56:52 pm »

As a kid, I liked "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen". Creeped me out.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 11:12:53 pm »

I also like giraffebone's "Slick Nick, You Devil You."  Why that hasn't become a staple of 24-hour-Christmas-music stations is beyond me.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 11:24:54 pm »

Oh, messageboard filters.

Truly, you are the gift that keeps on giving.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 12:41:52 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 08:05:23 am »

Let's have a Patrick Swayze Christmas

For serious tunes, though, I agree that O Holy Night is a very powerful song.  Despite its source, I think this is my favorite arrangement (though you really need good bass to get it).
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up