Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laphroaig 10 years old  (Read 8994 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2004, 01:37:32 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
When I hit the lottery, I'll pick it up, along with that 1971 Glenmorangie.


Not worth it. The Glenmorangie that is.
Or at least if you have any taste for the Islays it isn't.
Glenmorangie is an infidel scotch. Doesn't have any of the great qualities, and spending $300 isn't going to get you them.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2004, 01:39:09 am »

Quote from: "jough"
The Laphroaig 15-year isn't all *that* expensive - in PA's "state stores" it's about $65 a bottle.

In any case, it's well worth it.


I've never paid sixty-five dollars for a bottle of anything, prescription drugs included. For this to be truly Worth It, I'd have to completely recalibrate my gauge of Special Occasions.

Quote from: "jough"
P.S. It's pronounced "La Froyg".

They have a guy pronouncing it on their excellent web site.


I stand corrected: there is a definitive pronunciation and their website is rather lovely; if they wanted to engender in the viewer a nostalgia for something as yet unexperienced, mission accomplished.

Even though "La Froyg" really sounds more like the name a Jewish retiree would take upon auditioning for the Miami Sound Machine, ca. 1987.

EDIT: OR PERHAPS ARMY OF LOVERS CA. 1995
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2004, 03:01:56 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

I've never paid sixty-five dollars for a bottle of anything, prescription drugs included. For this to be truly Worth It, I'd have to completely recalibrate my gauge of Special Occasions.



Preach it, brother!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2004, 06:53:57 am »

this is, without a doubt, the CLASSIEST board I've ever seen.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2004, 11:28:44 am »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I missed it during the Great Bum-Out of 2003-2004. My sweetie is coming to visit in March, and I have expressed instructions to make him into a Scotch Drinker. He's just never had the stuff. I like scotch a lot, but I've only ever had it in bars and thus don't know what to buy. He's not a girl-drink drunk by any means, so I'm not concerned about the kick it packs. What should I get? This is a Special Occasion so I don't mind splurging a bit (though $300 is a bit steep til I get these credit cards paid off).
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2004, 04:13:48 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
this is, without a doubt, the CLASSIEST board I've ever seen.


Fine scotch to ding-dongs -  Something for everyone on this board.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2004, 08:44:11 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"
My sweetie is coming to visit in March, and I have expressed instructions to make him into a Scotch Drinker. He's just never had the stuff.


A word of warning: some people are not going to naturally turn into Scotch Drinkers.  Case in point: the drummer in my band, who is fond of almost all other kinds of clear brown liquids, especially bourbon.  He tried the Laphroaig 15-year the night I brought it, and hasn't touched it since.  Why?  "I'm just not a scotch drinker."  Drummers. His loss; I guess the bottle will just have to migrate home with me.  

In the meantime, the guy who sold me the Laphroaig also hyped me on Aberlour A'Bunadh.  The A'Bunadh is finished in a sherry cask, while the Laphroaig is apprarently finished in an used ashtray full of peat moss.  

Just review this thread for suggestions.  Good luck; let us know how the Scotch Drinker Makeover goes.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2004, 10:07:01 pm »

My spouse, drinker of the foul scotches that taste like used ashtrays, has the following suggestions on scotch for beginners.

The kid stuff you might have as your very first bottle of single malt:  Glenfiddich.  "Too much advertising," he says.  A better one along these lines: Glenlivet.

More realer ones from two different regions: Balvenie Single Barrel (one of those from sherry barrels),  Oban (has a nice circular box with pictures of rocks and seagulls (my comment, not his)).

For a more grownup one: Talisker. For your first try of the really nasty ones:  Lagavulin or Ardbeg.

These are all like 30 or 40 dollars.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2004, 06:02:37 pm »

Bowmore is slightly peaty, but not very. Good to ease people into the peaty beverages. My mother reckons it tastes like Benylin.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2004, 04:05:38 am »

Last night, I was at this really godawful party with a bunch of douchebags. However, there was a large and well-stocked bar. So I was like, if I'm ever to find Laphroaig, this is where. I spend a good 5 anti-social minutes rummaging through before finally finding, underneath the cabinet, a hardly-touched bottle of Laphroaig 10!
Now, immediatly beforehand I smoked a fair amount of some really godawful weed, and my throat was burning like the very pits of hell. I threw back a finger of Laphroaig and........
DAMN was it GOOD! HOT DAMN! I fell in love. And then I tried to show the FOOLS around me what a wonder it was! And they couldn't take it! They SPAT IT OUT! But then I realized that I was the only person there who wasn't doing chasers with everything. Pansies. From here on out, I only associate with those who can drink the 'phroaig....the Laphroaig.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2004, 04:15:40 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
From here on out, I only associate with those who can drink the 'phroaig....the Laphroaig.


Do we have to bring our own doilies, or will you have giant ones all ready and laid out on beanbags in the Conversation Pit with our names written on them in washable marker?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2004, 03:39:07 pm »

Don't forget your fan.  

You know.  For the hot flashes.  

Incidentally, my new medication has been giving me hot flashes.  I'm 25.  And having hot flashes.  What a lady-lady.  I turn on the fan, but as soon as it passes I get so cold I'm afraid I'm going to freeze my ovaries.  

Bitch.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Laphroaig 10 years old
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2004, 08:59:53 pm »

Haha, I was actually thinking of velvet thrones with platinum pimp cups sitting on them, encrusted with diamonds in the shape of your names.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up