Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ART and other shit that goes on the wall  (Read 6304 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:29:04 pm »

My friends and I have entered a phase where were buying art. Why? Its easier to spend money on art than it is on a girlfriend. Ironically, one of the first pieces we both bought ourselves were pictures of lonely women.

Thats one I have. The one my friend has is the same kind of scene but at a breakfast table.
Now I want prints like this:





Anyone else dig on wall decorations? What is a good venue to discover local artists?

Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:48:06 pm »

'Round these parts, there's a "First Friday" event on, conveniently enough, the first Friday of every month, where the local galleries downtown open their studios from 6 - 10 and offer their stuff for sale. That's how I'd find a local artist here. Dunno if you have anything so regularly-scheduled where you are, but I'm guessing there are plenty of art festivals in the year to attend.

If you're into photography, I have a good friend who is a professional freelance photographer. She doesn't have any of her art stuff on her site, but she has an art-school background, as evidenced by some of her highly stylized wedding shots. She's available for commissions.

Cort knows some artists, he got me some art for the Secret Santa name draw last year. It's awesome.

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:30:12 pm »

this should turn into a thing where I make you buy my friends' art.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 08:48:37 pm »

this should turn into a thing where I make you buy my friends' art.
well do they do stuff that looks like the above?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:48:31 pm »

we have this one above our mantle:


(click for embiggening)

and some older stuffy by a friend that resembles nothing she's got on her website on a different wall

i'm looking for something short, wide, and mellow for above the TV. right now it's just a big gray expanse of wall, but i don't want anything that draws the eye too much. abstract would be fine, a black and white landscape, sure, whatever. just got to kill the boring.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:50:53 am by Choop »
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:06:05 pm »

Yeah, First Friday in Denver has two pretty big (at least 5 blocks?) areas.  I would look for something like that.  It is kinda fun, too.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 12:32:57 am »

Cort knows some artists, he got me some art for the Secret Santa name draw last year. It's awesome.

While I'm a big Project Dispatch fan I don't think it's good for A-Cap since you can't predict exactly what you're going to get.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 05:06:08 am »

right now the only thing on my walls is this:

actually, also there are some small posters for the radio station I worked at.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 01:44:58 pm »

I suppose it's no surprise that the vast majority of the original art on my walls is either original comics or pictures of pugs.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 02:08:37 pm »

I usually use either portraits of my kids (taken by the aforementioned photographer) or prints that have some historical significance. My office has a print of Rosa Parks being fingerprinted at the Montgomery PD, for instance, and I really want a print of John Trumbull's The Declaration of Independence for some part of my house. (My mother was a Trumbull, and John is an ancestor of mine.)



I have a few more pieces of art (including the ones I got from Project Dispatch) that used to be in my office, but I had to take them down when I moved the furniture and they're not back up yet. I have to find another place for most of them because I put up some media storage shelves that used to be in our family room in our old house to store yarn on, and they take up the biggest expanse of blank wall in the room.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 02:22:47 pm »

Maybe not so surprising, but generally I'll only hang concert/tour posters. I'm pretty selective, though. Like I only buy posters at the concert (I don't go looking for old concert posters), and I'll only buy it if I like the poster itself (that is, I won't buy it just because I like the band or it was a great show). I couldn't find an image online of the only one I currently have hanging, but this one is going up once I get it framed:



Maybe once I grow up I'll get some real art to hang. I have a couple artist friends that I'd love to buy some art from, but that shit's expensive.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:12:45 pm »

I love that poster, and, there is a band called Tortoise?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 03:36:56 pm »

Love the second one.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 05:46:04 pm »

We have craploads of art on our walls due to all the artists in the family. I mentioned elsewhere that my step-mom is a (mostly commercial) artist. She has given us a lot of her art (she's relatively widely collected) but she's also given us a lot of stuff that she's collected over the years that she just doesn't have room to show. Most of our stuff is wildlife, because that's what she's into. We have all the portraits and nudes and that sort of stuff in the bedroom, including some prints of Leighton and Courbet and some other shit - purely for eye candy. For those who like the animals, we've got some Byron Birdsall (still pretty reasonably priced, but very masculine, not everyone's taste), John Pitcher (crap site for him, but my searching, it returns nothing of value) and John Seery-Lister (I've got the snow bunting print which is about halfway down. Cool for me because we get snow buntings at work, plus I just randomly found it in a coffee shop and it turns out my step-mom was published by the same house he was long ago). I also collect this guy, because his stuff just struck me and I met him soon after I moved to Portland.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 07:21:19 pm »

I have a lot of stuff, but most of it is not hung except for the wall of artcar posters.  I need to update that picture because the 4 has turned into 14 and there are probably 4-5 more that need to be hung.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up