Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ART and other shit that goes on the wall  (Read 6296 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 08:02:27 pm »

Quote from: Flickr
I have a lot of stuff, but most of it is not hung except for the wall of artcar posters. 
This photo is private!

Hey, when did Flickr get cool again and let me see all my photos?  It seems like a year or more ago that they said I was losing my "Pro" priveleges of having as many pics as I wanted up there unless I paid a fee.  I may actually go back to using it now.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 12:11:33 am »

I love that poster, and, there is a band called Tortoise?

That is probably my favorite tour poster, it was a good find. And yes, there is a band named Tortoise. Rather than try to describe them, I'll just post a a track that is more or less representative of their work on the whole. Actually, it's not, really, but I like it.

I'm pretty sure I've heard their stuff as bumper music on NPR, for what it's worth. I don't know if that's a good thing.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 12:19:53 am »

My housemate used to do some stencilling and an old girlfriend left a couple of small canvasses when she moved out but the only thing with any staying power on my walls is movie posters. Big ones that you buy from the cinema after the run has ended. My favourite was a 'would the last one to die please turn out the lights' children of men poster that took up most of our living room wall.
Hospital accommodation this year means we're not allowed to hang things on our walls or feel joy though, so that's kind of a drag.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 12:20:16 am »

Try it now Jaydub.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 01:07:38 am »

Fixed!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 05:17:59 am »

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 05:26:45 am »

a few of my friends want to get matching tattoos that say
Quote
NO WAITING
NO WAITING
NO WAITING
in the style of a barbershop sign on their street.

they are the friends whose art A-Cap should buy. There is one girl whose stuff he might actually like.

I know what Mike has to say about these people, the place they live, and their potential tattoos.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 05:31:20 am »

I know what Mike has to say about these people, the place they live, and their potential tattoos.

Knowing is half the battle
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 02:04:27 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 04:17:13 am »

I have oodles of art:

Above the writing desk which I typically post from are these three prints.   I purchased all three at a market in Old Havana.  I joked with my husband that we had actually stumbled upon the Black Market, as it was actually illegal in Cuba to sell art without the work being sanctioned by the government, plus while I was picking out art, I was offered drugs by at least a dozen separate dealers.

I have three wall sculptures on the wall in the hall between our two bedrooms:  there's "Dearlette" and "Acorn Boy" which are both from a series called "The Sleepy Collection" by an artist named Gosia who I met at a "One of a Kind" show when my last play was in production in Toronto.  Between "Dearlette" and "Acorn Boy" is a carving I bought at a market in Bali.  The two sculptures by Gosia are especially special to me because I got to talk with the artist about why she made them - her feelings of her niece when she was born as alien, fascinating and beautiful, especially when she slept were the inspiration for an entire series from which these two sculpture came.  Even better, as Gosia explained this to me, her sister came up pushing a stroller with her sleeping niece in it, and sure enough, the kid looked just like the sculptures (minus horns or imp ears).

One of my favorite pieces of art is an artist's proof by Shirley Brown called "Flinger" that hangs right near our dinner table.  I just loved this one - how it evokes hope and flight in spite of the somewhat morbid subject.  The remarkable thing is that Brown took the skeletons of these birds she found and used them as inspiration for an entire show that later got significant of attention, but I bought this AP before the show, as a stand alone piece at a fundraiser for a studio my husband was taking print making classes at.

I got this interesting print "True Love" by Leslie Supnet who's work is all about introspection and loss.  This was from a local "Art from the Heart" show for inner city artists, where I was also showing some of my own art work for the first time.  It was nice because I sold a piece at the same show.

The most recent purchase of art I made was this fantastical piece: Sir Odobenus Rosmarus Portrait by Angela Rossi, which my husband had on his Christmas wish list.  He found it on Etsy.  He hasn't decided where he wants to hang it yet, but I'm looking forward to getting it on the wall.

I've got several more pieces all over the place, like my "Kitchen Demon," (which is an Indonesian hand carved mask) and my bathroom pastiche of little art pieces and this odd little collection of an Indonesian rod puppet, Cuban hand puppet and handmade automaton that moves (which was a prop made my a local artist and friend for a show I wrote)  I've also got this very odd unsigned empty head sculpture/basket by a Portuguese artist.  The head is full of branches from a tree that was struck down into the street by lightning near our house on the night we moved in, which means I added some weird of my own to the weirdness.

The only piece that's a little bit sad is this one . Because of it's size - 4ft tall by 1.5ft wide - I've wanted to hang it above the stairs since I bought it several years ago, but doing so would mean renting scaffolding, which we've never gotten around to doing, so it lives in the closet to protect it from the claws of our cats.  I'd really like to put it up.  Every time I take it out, I discover a new detail I didn't notice before.  I really should get on hanging it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:22:51 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 05:03:59 am »

a few of my friends want to get matching tattoos that sayin the style of a barbershop sign on their street.

they are the friends whose art A-Cap should buy. There is one girl whose stuff he might actually like.

I know what Mike has to say about these people, the place they live, and their potential tattoos.
Id be interested to hear from an artist that could do a take on the converging lines art. Im imaging something longer on the horizontal than the vertical to hang over my bed.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 06:38:43 am »

The only acceptable multi-person tattoos are tattoos that line up together into a pirate treasure map.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 06:43:54 am »

Now that is some art you could hang on your wall.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 02:41:04 pm »

Id be interested to hear from an artist that could do a take on the converging lines art. Im imaging something longer on the horizontal than the vertical to hang over my bed.

I misread this as applying to Inev's post about tattoos and was trying to imagine where on your body you would want a converging lines art tattoo.  The art you already have looks very cool by the way.  I've got to admit, I'm more about figural images myself, but the use of colour and movement in those paintings is striking.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 04:03:28 pm »

Cool art SS.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up