Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: ART and other shit that goes on the wall  (Read 6308 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 06:36:00 pm »

I need to get a couple things framed, and was wondering, how important is the quality of framing? I mean, not just aesthetically, but the long term preservation of what is framed. One of the prints is fairly rare and pretty pricey (for me) so I want to do right by it. Any thoughts?

What made me think of this was reading about "acid-free mattings" offered by one of the places I looked into.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 07:17:17 pm »

As I've mentioned, my step-mom is a bona-fide artist (this is how she makes her living, and has for at least 30 years) and she has said don't skimp on the matting. If it's a poster, who cares, but if it's a print you've spent money on, do it up right. Also, in a few years your matting won't be all yellowed, which is nice.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 02:52:41 pm »

What Nabu said is true, but I would also look carefully at the cheaper sites to see if they're also offering "acid-free" mats, but in a quieter fashion. It's my understanding that most professionals use acid-free mats as a matter of course, so don't pay a premium just because one place flies the acid-free banner.

Just because the Subway restaurant advertises that they do not rub the sandwich meats on their arms and backs doesn't necessarily mean that all the others do. They might, but you gotta do the research yourself on that.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 01:42:23 pm »

Ah, true. Damn, framing's expensive. I'd try to just buy the materials and do it myself but I can't even cut a dang tomato straight.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: ART and other shit that goes on the wall
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 01:55:21 pm »

From someone who has matted her own work, I recommend going with a pro. The equipment to do it is expensive, and it's harder than it looks to get those nice bevel cuts.

(My mom has the expensive equipment because she changes all the photos of her grandkids in her house at least once a year -- and there are a LOT of them.)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up