Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rib popping good  (Read 14088 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 08:25:59 pm »

Well, shit.  I saw this topic title and thought it was going to be about barbecue.

From my little time in the deep south I learned a sad truth:  there is basically no good barbecue in Manitoba.   Okay, apparently there's one place, but it's way out in the middle of no where and I haven't been there yet.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 08:30:00 pm »

I . . . don't like ribs. I don't like to eat around bones. I am lazy when it comes to food.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 10:15:42 pm »

I don't like to eat around bones.

If it's done properly, the bones pop right out.

SEE WHAT I DID THERE!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 10:40:54 pm »

Mmmm...ribs. Now I'm going to have to get some this week. There's a place in town that does it properly, and it's so good.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 11:16:57 pm »

If it's done properly, the bones pop right out.

SEE WHAT I DID THERE!

I have been basting in my own juices for some time now.   Explains a lot.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 01:34:27 am »

I . . . don't like ribs. I don't like to eat around bones. I am lazy when it comes to food.

I love ribs, but I don't like getting my hands messy. So I eat them with a knife and fork. It's a fine art, and my BFF laughs at me, but when I'm done there's not a scrap of meat left on those mothers.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 01:42:17 am »

Nabu, this is the saddest thing. Meat cooked on the bone is always tastier than boneless meat. Come on, you'll have plenty of time to eat nothing but soft food when you're in the nursing home, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 01:55:48 am »

"Manitoba's Best Barbeque" would totally be a band name that 'Nev would go wild for.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 02:45:39 am »

From my little time in the deep south I learned a sad truth:  there is basically no good barbecue in Manitoba.   Okay, apparently there's one place, but it's way out in the middle of no where and I haven't been there yet.

Sounds like a business opportunity!  I can show you how to make wicked hickory smoked pork shoulder.  A few baked beans and a good coleslaw recipe and ...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 03:06:16 am »

Nabu, this is the saddest thing. Meat cooked on the bone is always tastier than boneless meat. Come on, you'll have plenty of time to eat nothing but soft food when you're in the nursing home, you know?

You would be pretty sad to see what I eat most of the time. It is a sacrifice.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 04:33:14 am »

Um.

My band that was actually just friends screwing around over the summer was called "Barbeque Masters."

Manitoba's best barbecue is not a good band name.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 08:48:10 pm »

Yeah, Manitoba's Best Barbecue is not a good band name, but maybe I'm too close to it to "get" it.  The thing that has not been capitalize on by this business is how much Winnipeg sounds like Win-a-pig.  I mean, come on. 

AW, I am so not interested in being any kind of cook.  I'd get way too bored with having to be consistant all the time.  I don't know how chefs can do that. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 08:55:11 pm »

Sounds like a business opportunity!  I can show you how to make wicked hickory smoked pork shoulder.  A few baked beans and a good coleslaw recipe and ...

I can attest.  The man can cook.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 08:58:30 pm »

holy crap AW, please share your pork shoulder recipe with us. I would love to know how to make BBQ.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 09:10:34 pm »

holy crap AW, please share your pork shoulder recipe with us. I would love to know how to make BBQ.

It's very simple.  I just brine it overnight, then cook it indirectly.  I have a grill like this:



The meat sits on one side, the fire on the other.  I keep a low fire going with charcoal and chip and/or chunks of hickory on it.  The meat stays on the grill as long as possible, but at least 8 hours.  No sauce, no rub, no nothing but low heat and smoke.

S'all there is to it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up