Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rib popping good  (Read 14107 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 09:20:29 pm »

I do something similar, though I put a rub on it (Rudy's Rub from Rudy's BBQ in San Antonio, to be exact).  And I rarely make it to 8 hours, more like 4-5, because I am impatient and screw around with my fire too much.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 07:36:37 am »

Hey, could someone explain this one since the american style of barbecuing is a bit different to what people do around here and I've never understood.

Over here, bbq with fire (or coals or gas or whatever), directly under a grill or a hot plate and then meat on top, and it's normally akin to pan frying more or less. This slow cooking alchemy you guys speak of is somewhat different, yes? Because it sounds delicious.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 09:32:22 am »

Hey, could someone explain this one since the american style of barbecuing is a bit different to what people do around here and I've never understood.

Over here, bbq with fire (or coals or gas or whatever), directly under a grill or a hot plate and then meat on top, and it's normally akin to pan frying more or less. This slow cooking alchemy you guys speak of is somewhat different, yes? Because it sounds delicious.

Well... It's not that simple.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 01:42:22 pm »

Hey, could someone explain this one since the american style of barbecuing is a bit different to what people do around here and I've never understood.

Over here, bbq with fire (or coals or gas or whatever), directly under a grill or a hot plate and then meat on top, and it's normally akin to pan frying more or less. This slow cooking alchemy you guys speak of is somewhat different, yes? Because it sounds delicious.

People certainly do it that way here, too, with all kinds of meat. But we don't call it barbecue -- we call it "grilling" or "cooking out."

When you say "barbecue" here, people tend to think of the kind of slow-roasted meat August described, usually (but not always) with a flavorful sauce. It is distinct from other preparations because no matter what kind of meat you put in, what comes out is moist, tender, and falls right off the bone (if applicable).

Many of the cuts most closely associated with American-style barbecue, like pork shoulder, can be dry or tough when prepared other ways, so slow-roasting is the perfect solution. And while not all barbecue features a tangy, tomato-based sauce (the eastern part of the Carolinas use a tomatoless, vinegar-based sauce that features red pepper flakes quite prominently), in most of the country, when you say "barbecue," people will think of whatever their regional/familial variant of "barbecue sauce" is.

OK, fellow 'Mericans, which parts of that am I wrong about? I'm not a barbecue historian or anything, but these are my observations about how people think about barbecue in the places I've lived.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 02:33:39 pm »

before I lived in NC, I thought that BBQ was what Doc described.

Then I learned that I was wrong about that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 02:44:18 pm »

JL is pretty much spot on.  Some people use "barbecue" and "grill" interchangeably, but really "grilling" is quick, direct cooking over an open flame, and barbecue is the slow-heat method.

You will get many arguments as to what goes in the sauce, and whether the sauce goes on the meat while it's still on the grill or is just used as a condiment later.  There are a number of regional styles.  I myself am fond of the Memphis style, which is a little heavier on the sauce and will often add it during the last moments of cooking to get it a little crispy and carmelized.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 02:50:45 pm »

You will get many arguments as to what goes in the sauce, and whether the sauce goes on the meat while it's still on the grill or is just used as a condiment later.  There are a number of regional styles.  I myself am fond of the Memphis style, which is a little heavier on the sauce and will often add it during the last moments of cooking to get it a little crispy and carmelized.

Memphis-stylezz is my fave, too. I think it's sort of the "export 'cue" -- the style of barbecue people eat in parts of the country that don't have an indigenous type of barbecue (e.g., anyplace north of the Mason-Dixon line).
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 04:39:56 pm »

Do me a favor, Doc, and don't ask about chili.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 05:14:32 pm »

Just remember, I'm pro-bean on that one.

That's why I don't want to talk about it. Some folks (I'm not going to admit to what camp I'm in) consider that a heresy. Then again, some folks put in chocolate, peanut butter, or coffee grounds, so what do I know?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2011, 09:26:05 pm »

Yeah, if we start talking about chili it's likely to be worse than our taco fight
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 09:51:41 pm »

oh god not the taco fight
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 10:50:51 pm »

Just remember, I'm pro-bean on that one.

I like beans, I just don't like what comes along with them. I've got a no-bean (browned ground beef and stew meat) chili in the crock pot right now. I'm doing a test run for Sunday since I'm doing a thing at a friend's place for the Super Bowl. Trying to have it spicy, but not so spicy that I'm the only one that will eat it.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 10:54:14 pm »

i skip the beans when i'm making venison chili, but then i commit a different taboo and cut the venison with beef. i had an oddly amazing vegetarian chili a couple weeks ago, as good as any homemade chili con carne i've ever had, and better than any restaurant's veggi chili. that's a recipe i need to get.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 12:00:32 am »

I had an oddly amazing vegetarian chili a couple weeks ago.

I have been amazed by how good veggie chili can be.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Rib popping good
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 12:29:52 am »

When the situation calls for, I'll throw that type of chili on top of cornbread, slightly crunched up tortilla chips or maybe even some rice.

Throw some shredded cheddar on top or sour cream in a pinch.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up