Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Music of 2003  (Read 4758 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Best Music of 2003
« on: December 25, 2003, 04:56:45 am »

Let's have some lists.  Singles, albums, whatever.  I'm working on mine, and it will probably be even shorter than my Best Movie list.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 05:25:02 am »

Radiohead: Hail to the Thief
Belle & Sebastian: Dear Catastrophe Waitress
White Stripes: Elephant
Seal: IV

Were any other albums released?

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2003, 06:34:53 am »

Best album I bought in 2003 that really came out in 2002: Queens of the Stone Age, Songs For the Deaf

Best album I bought in 2003 that really came out in 2001: The Detroit Cobras, Life Love and Leaving

The only album of "new" music I got in 2003: The White Stripes, Elephant.  

Best album of 2003 recorded in 1972: Led Zeppelin, How the West Was Won.

Best musical product of 2003, hands down: the Led Zeppelin DVD, which is absolute godhead.  

Reason I'm not buying many CDs these days: http://www.live365.com, the radio station I've always dreamed about.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2003, 02:43:59 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Best album I bought in 2003 that really came out in 2002: Queens of the Stone Age, Songs For the Deaf


If only I hadn't bought it in 2002!

Best release for me :
Tie between Desert Sessions 9&10 and Here Comes That Weird Chill by Mark Lanegan.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2003, 04:34:27 pm »

I can never remember what I listened to or what I liked when I write these things.  I'll concur with Limmo LZ DVD and Live album.  Hell Yeah it's awesome.  I have an unusual choice for best of, the Dixie Chicks Home is really awesome.  It gets syrupy in a few spots but mostly it's great old school country and bluegrass from Austin Texas.  The kind of music Nashville has forgotten how to make.  It's like the sex funeral of country.  Hail to the Theif is the only other one I can think of right now worth even mentioning, much less putting in a best of list.

Let's see, perusing the others list.  I see Elephant made Jough's list.  That's the only other one I have heard.  It's not bad, but if that's the best of the year, it was a pretty slow year.

Belle and Sebastian made your list as well Jough.  I really need to check these guys out.  I heard their music in that Todd Solondz movie and I liked it, but never followed up on it.

~Paul

Edit:  The Blood Brothers, Burn Piano Island Burn.  It's the antidote to Good Charlotte.

Edit 2:  Johnny Cash, American IV: the Man Comes Around
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2003, 05:01:34 pm »

My list contained three albums that never would have been on a best of list in years past.  It's just that I honestly don't listen to enough new music to really know what's good and new.

The Strokes' second album was a huge disappointment.

It's just that I tend to like, well, musicians and bands and stuff, and they're not really playing music by musicians on the radio anymore.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2003, 06:03:02 pm »

I really really really hate the White Stripes.  A lot.


Now that I've gotten that out of the way... I thought Dear Catastrophe Waitress was kind of a letdown... only one or two songs I really liked.  

Good albums this year, free-association style.  Apologies if some of these turn out to be late-2002.
 Want One, by Rufus Wainwright, was ok, but not that great.  I jut have a soft spot for the little fella cause his last two albums were so good.  
One plucked from 'neath the tree this morning was A Promise, by grotesquely angst-ridden, sorta Ian-Curtis-sounding indie kids Xiu Xiu, but that is probably not to most people's tastes...
The idea of a Mountain Goats studio album is upsetting to me, but Tallahassee is a good album...
Cat Power's You Are Free sucked, with the exception of I Don't Blame You, which I am addicted to.

That's all I gots.

[/indiedork]
Logged
goose means greedy

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2003, 06:33:33 pm »

Best Album of the Year:

Speakerboxx/The Love Below, by Outkast, featuring the fantastic and omni-present "Hey Ya."


[/sarcasm]
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2003, 06:16:42 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Cat Power's You Are Free sucked


I'm all for indie, but that album sounded like it was made by an amateur.  I bought it because David Campbell did some string arrangements for it.  They were the highlight of the album, but even they were pretty weak.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2003, 06:25:34 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I really really really hate the White Stripes.  A lot.


Testify, sister.  Though, in thinking about it, I don't hate them so much as I hate everyone who thinks they're the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. The level of talent on display does not come anywhere's near justifying the hype. In their defense, I liked their last album once the guy from Redd Kross added bass tracks.  It wasn't half bad after that.

Elephant isn't a bad album, but it definitely gets my vote for Most Overrated Album by the Most Overrated Rock Band Ever ( And Yes, That Includes The Doors).
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2003, 06:44:39 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Testify, sister. Though, in thinking about it, I don't hate them so much as I hate everyone who thinks they're the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.


Amen to that.

Quote from: "Limmo"
In their defense, I liked their last album once the guy from Redd Kross added bass tracks.  It wasn't half bad after that.


There is a version with bass?  That's the f'n ELEPHANT standing in the room.  I'll never be able to like a band that doesn't have bass.  

Quote from: "Limmo"
Elephant isn't a bad album, but it definitely gets my vote for Most Overrated Album by the Most Overrated Rock Band Ever ( And Yes, That Includes The Doors).


Even more than U2?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2003, 06:53:11 am »

There's a version of White Blood Cells that Steve McDonald added bass tracks to and retitled Redd Blood Cells.  You can find the tracks on any file-trading network.  The funniest cut is "Little Room": the original is just vocal and drums; Steve McD overdubbed a furious fuzz-bass solo.  

Bands that don't have bass players aren't real bands.  Apologies to Sleater-Kinney and the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, but they just aren't.  And while we're on the subject, I made a comp CD of the Doors songs I can stand.  Lo and behold: almost all of them have a studio bass player sitting in.

I like U2.  But I also like seeing them fall flat on their faces ( Rattle and Hum, Pop ).  They tend to put out better albums after they have a little egg on their faces.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2003, 08:11:32 am »

What about bands like Morphine that have nothing but Bass, Sax, and Drums?

Does no guitar make a "not a real band" statement to you?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2003, 02:52:59 pm »

I read Pitchfork Media's top 50 of the year, and I own TWO of them.  TWO!!  My days of being up to speed on good music are long past me.  In recent years, I've scanned the year-end best-of lists, and thus found a good half-dozen albums that I apparently need to check out.

So right now, as far as things that actually came out this year, I'd have to pick:
New Pornographers, Electric Version
My Morning Jacket, It Still Moves
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Take Them On, On Your Own
Iron and Wine, The Sea and the Rhythm
Grandaddy, Sumday
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Best Music of 2003
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2003, 04:41:51 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
What about bands like Morphine that have nothing but Bass, Sax, and Drums?
Does no guitar make a "not a real band" statement to you?


Morphine had a bass player.  So they were a real band.  A good one too.

I guess a better way to put it would be I'm a fan of rhythm sections.  Of two human beings laying down a pulse for the rest of the musicians to create music that breathes.  When I hear a band that has two guitarists and no bass player, I find myself thinking there's something missing here.  

But now it occurs to me that the Shaggs didn't have a bass player, so there's another theory shot to shit.  I'm also leaving rap music out of the discussion entirely.

I don't have a problem with bands not having a guitar player.  I don't think either Jerry Lee Lewis (during his Sun period) or Little Richard (on Specialty) had guitar players, and I don't miss 'em a bit.  But they both had bass players.  

I guess I've just got the fever, and the cure is more bass.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up