Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Commercial Bowl Thread  (Read 4249 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
The Commercial Bowl Thread
« on: February 06, 2011, 04:41:31 pm »

Since I probably won't watch the game much (if at all), let's start a thread with links to the best ads. I'll start with these previews from AdFreak:

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2011/02/super-bowl-preview-21-teasers-and-full-ads.html

My favorite of these: Darth Volkswagen

http://bcove.me/6v5emrz4
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:21:10 pm »

The persistent myth that the ads are the best part of the game is amusing to me.  The ads during the Superbowl are... well they're ads.  Mostly they are just pretty stupid and annoying after you've seen them more than once.  Every once in awhile an interesting or funny one comes along, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The game on the other hand.  It might prove to be a good one.  I think the teams are pretty evenly matched.  Both the Packers and the Steelers have exciting standout players on both sides of the ball.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 03:33:11 am »

You know what I learned from tonight's ads?  Violence is FUNNY!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 03:36:33 am »

Good game.  There were a couple of cute ones.  I got a chuckle out of the Groupon Tibet commercial.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 03:37:38 am »

We learned that Eminem apparently needs a lot of goddamned money and needs it goddamned fast.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 03:41:56 am »

one of the dumber people I met at washU successfully got a job at Groupon.

I think about that whenever I feel like I will never get a good job. "senior honors thesis research was a quiz she sent to her friends on facebook = now works at a successful, hip company."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 04:03:57 am »

I didn't think the Vader one was that good. Maybe because I've been hearing about it all week, I dunno. The Snickers celebrity ad was funny, as it was last year.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 04:35:33 am »

I liked that Eminem one for the car company. But mostly because I identify with "pride in horrible, decayed/decaying post-industrial city."
I do not know if that ad would be successful in getting people to buy cars.

The E-Trade babies drive me insane and I hate them, no matter how much my dad tells me that they are great and making etrade lots of money.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 05:01:03 am »

The E-Trade babies drive me insane and I hate them
shhhhhh






you're welcome
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 06:25:07 am »

I was astonished by the hit-in-the-balls joke fail.  How can you screw up hitting someone in the balls?  Its like automatically funny.  What would America's Funniest Videos be without that gag?  Yet Pepsi misses the mark somehow.

That and the borderline gruesome baby splatting against the glass door.  Ugh.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 01:38:47 pm »

That and the borderline gruesome baby splatting against the glass door.  Ugh.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.  I laughed.  I also thought, that's not gonna play well with most people.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 02:11:26 pm »

All I know is that girl from the Blackeyed Peas can't sing for shit.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 02:19:26 pm »

I just watched a bunch of ads on my Xbox, and I thought the Ozzy/Beiber one was pretty hilarious. A brief perusal of the ad blogs tells me Im in the minority, though.

Still like Darth Volkswagen, but I think that one's easier to like if you've got a kid in the 5 - 7 age range.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 02:52:29 pm »

there were clydesdales outside the western bar with the tiny dancer cowboys.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 04:38:22 pm »

All I know is that girl from the Blackeyed Peas can't sing for shit.

Yeah, but I really loved her illuminated dress.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up