Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Poll

What section of the news do you check first?

World
US
Local
Business
Science/Technology
Entertainment
Sports
Arts
Opinion
Comics (if you still read the paper)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What section of the news do you check first?  (Read 5534 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
What section of the news do you check first?
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:45:32 pm »

Just curious. I always check the world news first.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:20:59 pm »

Whatever is on the front page - I read from front to back, like any sensible person. Usually the front has a mixture, I guess.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:17:21 pm »

Depends a bit on the season.  I'll check sports if its football season (and a reporting day ), otherwise I'll usually peel the local section out and scan it.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:22:34 pm »

I totally don't read the paper anymore. It wasn't a conscious decision. It just kind of...happened. I picked world because that's what I look at most often these days on my phone's news feed, but during college football season it's definitely sports.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 07:19:35 pm »

I was thinking we were talking actual paper newspaper. I never buy them, but I'm in airports all the time and I can always find a discarded free one, and when I do I read straight through. When I get my news from the internet, I only read the sports - unless I hear something in passing about somebody dying or a place getting blown up or something.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:26:00 pm »

I read the local small-town, twice-weekly paper straight through, but it's only good for local news. 

I read the Sunday paper straight through.  Don't read a daily paper, except online.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:36:44 pm »

I guess probably world.  I don't read the newspaper at all.  I don't frequent the local news outlets online much because they suck as much as their print/television counterparts.  I'll read a local story if someone links to something on Facebook.  But most local news isn't even news at all.  Or even if it is I can't take the smarmy pun filled way they go about covering it.  

I don't read sports news because sports stars for the most part are complete and total douchebags and I don't want to know anymore about it than I have to.

I don't read about the weather because who gives a fuck.  Also, they are frequently wrong.

I don't read the financial section because I don't have any money to invest.

I don't care about the obituaries unless there is someone I know in there.  And judging by the obits I've read of people I know, most obits don't say anything at all of substance about the deceased anyway.

I used to like the entertainment section, but I get all of that type of news off of the internet now.

Sometimes there would be something interesting in the lifestyle section, but not too often.

I used to like the comics section, but it really sucks these days too.  Now I enjoy the comics ironically via Comics Curmudgeon.  To revise my first paragraph, back when I read the newspaper I would almost always read the comics first.

Sometimes I still read the local weekly alternative paper, but not too often.  I do religiously follow their food critic Katherine Shilcutt online.


Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:42:18 pm »

We only get the paper on Sundays now.  I pretty much go for sports first, then travel, arts/style, opinion, then the actual news sections.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:15:59 pm »

I guess probably world.  I don't read the newspaper at all.  I don't frequent the local news outlets online much because they suck as much as their print/television counterparts.  I'll read a local story if someone links to something on Facebook.  But most local news isn't even news at all.  Or even if it is I can't take the smarmy pun filled way they go about covering it.  

I don't read sports news because sports stars for the most part are complete and total douchebags and I don't want to know anymore about it than I have to.

I don't read about the weather because who gives a fuck.  Also, they are frequently wrong.

I don't read the financial section because I don't have any money to invest.

I don't care about the obituaries unless there is someone I know in there.  And judging by the obits I've read of people I know, most obits don't say anything at all of substance about the deceased anyway.

I used to like the entertainment section, but I get all of that type of news off of the internet now.

Sometimes there would be something interesting in the lifestyle section, but not too often.

I used to like the comics section, but it really sucks these days too.  Now I enjoy the comics ironically via Comics Curmudgeon.  To revise my first paragraph, back when I read the newspaper I would almost always read the comics first.

Sometimes I still read the local weekly alternative paper, but not too often.  I do religiously follow their food critic Katherine Shilcutt online.




You don't say.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:43:29 pm »

Front page, entertainment, front page of sports, comics and puzzles.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 12:00:05 am »

Ash, do you ever read ESPN? Or are you SI only? Also, do you read KissingSuzyKolber?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 12:18:59 am »

When I did read the local rag (before they shit on me) it was comics-local-sports-national.

Is there a story here?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 02:40:29 am »

I read the once a week local news only paper. Ever thing else I absorb from the internet. SI.com for sports during lunch, sometimes I cruise the WaPost and I have some favourite columnists who don't make me want to vomit too heartily. Televised news is dead to me. The weather is served by the internet.

When I did read the local rag (before they shit on me) it was comics-local-sports-national.


What he said.  Especially the part about TV news being dead to me.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 03:02:32 am »

I wish I didn't get exposed to TV news (mostly FOX) constantly at work. I turn the TVs off as often as possible, or to ESPN or the NFL network, but sometimes people (and I use the term loosely indeed) are watching it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 05:11:52 am »

I haven't picked up a paper since I had a year long subscription for 2 dollars a few years ago but when I read news I tend to read Fark and hit general and then politics then geek/science. Because american politics is so goddamned entertaining. Generally when I read news from around here it's the world stuff I like first, speaking of which if anyone used to like Christchurch (most beautiful city in NZ in my opinion) it's not there anymore*. Scary stuff.

*This may have been a slight exageration by my new zealand relatives, but it's definitely the worst quake they've had for a while, maybe ever.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:14:53 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up