Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Poll

What section of the news do you check first?

World
US
Local
Business
Science/Technology
Entertainment
Sports
Arts
Opinion
Comics (if you still read the paper)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What section of the news do you check first?  (Read 5516 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 06:53:14 am »

I read the ESPN SweetSpotBlog compendium for baseball, as well as the Baseball Analysts, some SB Nation stuff and Joe Posnanski for general good sport themed writing. I like SI because of Peter King and the simplicity of one stop shopping. The other, no. But now that you've put it in my head I'll check it out.
Yeah, I paid them annually one tear and they reneged and started billing me the regular rate after 3 months and their customer service were real a-holes to me when I called in. So I declared them dead to me. I won't even hit their website. It's a thing with me.

And I don't care what TV news feed it is, right-left-supposedly impartial, just NO.


If you go to kissingsuzykolber you might not like pete king anymore.

That would be okay though.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/02/name-five-things-better-than-this-peter-king-year-in-review-you-can%E2%80%99t.html

there is one of these for the last, idk, 2 years of PKs writing.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 02:13:24 pm »

I don't read/watch/listen to the news, per se. I scan the headlines at Slate and get emails from a local group that keeps me up to date on the situation with the school board I'm invested in locally. Pedro fills me in if something important happens.

Sometimes I buy a Sunday paper. I do the sudoku, the jumble, and the crossword; clip the coupons and scan the ads. Then I read the comics and throw the rest away.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 02:24:34 pm »

I wish I didn't get exposed to TV news (mostly FOX) constantly at work. I turn the TVs off as often as possible, or to ESPN or the NFL network, but sometimes people (and I use the term loosely indeed) are watching it.

We had dinner at an Indian buffet the other night, and they had CNN on their TV.  And as CNN so often is, it was full of war and crime and sex scandals and other stuff that I was uncomfortable having the kids listen to.  Where's the damn Bollywood videos?!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 03:14:01 pm »

KSK has occasional good stuff.  But the "abuse Peter King" thing has kind of run its course.  You take any national writer who has that much output, yeah, you're going to find stupid stuff s/he says and poorly thought out concepts. 

Now, Gregg Easterbrook, that guy's a dick, and I hope someone dissects him every week.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 03:50:12 pm »

KSK has occasional good stuff.  But the "abuse Peter King" thing has kind of run its course.  You take any national writer who has that much output, yeah, you're going to find stupid stuff s/he says and poorly thought out concepts. 

Now, Gregg Easterbrook, that guy's a dick, and I hope someone dissects him every week.

They used to bash TMQ pretty often. They also used to bash Sports Guy. They still do both, but not on a schedule like they do for PK. And I read all three, and they are all pretty bad in their own way. I do like KSK's LOL NFL bits. I would say you could just read those and dispose of the other parts, if it isn't appealing to you. The PK thing was funnier when he was doing more reporting on his daughter's softball team and shit like that (although they got slapped a little for it).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 03:55:08 pm »

One thing about KSK that started lately (and they may have fixed it) is the whole "video that starts playing automatically" thing. Hey, website people? Don't fuck*ng do that. We all read your sites at work. We are all listening to music. When we minimize and your video starts playing (and blaring), we get fired, and have to work at BK, and can't read your website anymore.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 08:36:17 pm »

OK, people, what the fuckity fuck is up with that!
every goddam public place or establishment has a motherfuck'n flat screen jibber-jabber'n at you.
The gas pump is doing it now.  It would be a trivial annoyance if it wasn't on such a tight loop that I have to hear the same set of hogwash 3 times while filling up the family truckster.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 01:33:10 am »

Now, Gregg Easterbrook, that guy's a dick, and I hope someone dissects him every week.

It was my fault that Gregg Easterbrook started referring to the Washington Redskins as "The Chesapeake Watershed Region Indigenous Persons." He was calling them the "Maryland Indigenous Persons" before I pointed out their offices &c are in Virginia. Of course I didn't realize he still existed since he hasn't appeared on Slate in like 10 years.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 02:07:33 am »

Same column, but it's on ESPN now.  He has some really good ideas (I agree with him that NFL teams punt too much), and some other things that are not so good, and things that are not nearly as interesting as he thinks they are that he comes back to repeatedly. 

Like, every year during the playoffs he points out that when it's supposed to be the most exciting time of the year, fans of more than half the NFL's team have nothing left to cheer for.  SFW?  Is he saying the playoffs are bad?  That there should be consolation games for the teams that didn't make the playoffs?  Makes no freaking sense.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 03:00:34 am »

His insistence on hitting the same fuck*ng tropes/memes/dead hosss/whatever is extremely tiresome. For example: he says "all predictions wrong or your money back" every time he makes a prediction, and then follows up, every time, by explaining that it's funny because his column is free. He does all those stupid nicknames for the teams. Jersey B, indigenous persons, bears whose outcome is controlled by fate (or whichever that one is), and on and on. The thing about the Dolphins cracking open the champagne being auto-text. If he didn't reuse pieces from his old columns, he'd lose 80% of the length. That said, I like the indictment of the punts and the blitzes, and he wasn't the last writer to get on board about the concussions. I do skip his astronomy stuff, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 06:53:17 pm »

That there should be consolation games for the teams that didn't make the playoffs?  Makes no freaking sense.
Oh, consolation games.  What a circus that would be.
Seriously, if you've ever played competitive sports, has playing a consolation game ever been something you wanted to do?  The only place it makes sense is in a tournament to decide bronze, which is a funny situation because with a bronze medal you go out a winner, and with silver you go out a loser.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What section of the news do you check first?
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 02:55:50 pm »

I can only see consolation games if it has a bearing on how much money you take home.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up