Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reddit  (Read 7529 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Reddit
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 05:36:59 pm »

It's easy to grin,
when your ship comes in,
and you've got the stock market beat.

But the man worthwhile,
is the man who can smile,
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Reddit
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 10:51:00 pm »

I'm a better more interesting person for my liberal arts education, I think.

What the fuck it has to do with "employment" on the other hand, ten years later is still fuck*ng beyond me.

As for what generation had it hardest or whatever, I dunno.

I think the general state of being a person has been FUCKIN' DIFFICULT from the moment we figured out how to pose our thumbs, in trees or caves or whatever.

Getting into pissing contests over who had it harder or who had it hard in a different way interest me less and less the older I get.

Older I get, the more I'm just concerned with trying to keep on my feet as the bastards beat me standing up and more aware of the fact that we'd all suffer at least a little less if we worked together and shared more.

That line from BRAZIL "we're all in this together, kid" rings louder in my head everytime fate suckerpunches me again and I refuse to go down.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Reddit
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 03:42:12 pm »

Does anyone else think its funny how ash is basically an early adopter of The Secret? You know, that new age hippy shit on Oprah?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Reddit
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 04:47:12 pm »

Does anyone else think its funny how ash is basically an early adopter of The Secret? You know, that new age hippy shit on Oprah?

I read an article about that a year or two ago. There's this crazy battle behind the scenes for control of the money-making machine that is "The Secret". And those people are pissed, believe me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Reddit
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 07:15:12 pm »

If they were all founders and masters of The Secret, though, why are they fighting over the profits?

Can't they all just magic themselves up whatever they want?

Just "call out to the universe" when they want that third yacht?

Or does The Secret only provide you with two yachts worth of money and if you want a third, you gotta just con gullible housewives like a normal rich person?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Reddit
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 09:10:42 pm »

I've talked to a couple people who buy the whole Secret thing, and they were happy to explain what in their life supports that belief. I noticed that basically it came down to them having a positive attitude and working their asses off. Like, my aunt wanted a good job. So she kept working hard at whatever job she had, took on a second job, interviewed with a bunch of people, got to know the right people, got a shitty job, worked really hard at that, got to know some more people and apparently now has a pretty good job. So that's pretty much what anyone does to get a good job, but because she asked The Universe for it, it's called The Secret. But yeah, sounds like hard work, not being a total dick and a bit of luck.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Reddit
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 09:17:27 pm »

You pretty much get what you manifest. I think the other "secret" part is that if you work hard and think positive, when things don't go well you take it better, and it doesn't fuck with you as much. If you're really negative and always running people down and talking shit, if something bad happens it's magnified in your mind.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Reddit
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 09:53:12 pm »

I've never heard of this "secret," but then again I don't watch Oprah, ever*.  This does explain some Facebook postings I've seen recently.

You dudes are watching Oprah?

*Except when Lady Gaga was on there.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Reddit
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 10:05:53 pm »

I've never heard of this "secret," but then again I don't watch Oprah, ever*.  This does explain some Facebook postings I've seen recently.

You dudes are watching Oprah?

*Except when Lady Gaga was on there.

What Paul said!*

*Except the part about Lady Gaga.  But I do catch the end of Ellen Degeneres when I stop by the house to change clothes for the gym after work.  So yeah, whatever.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Reddit
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 04:05:11 am »

I am all for the power of positivity and fightin' for what you dig.

It's just... that ain't googledy poogledy magic.

That's actions turning into results.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Reddit
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 04:31:35 am »

Well, if it was a ref to me, Ash, I said I think people put the best face on whatever's going on if they're positive thinkers, and tend to think everything's a tragedy if they're pessimists.

I tend to lean toward the bleeding-heart liberal mindset of thinking that people are getting fucked over by the Man a lot, even though I am squarely in the right-wing demographic. However, I do try to think positively about what the outcomes of my efforts will be, and I try to be nice to kitties and duckies and all that kind of shit. I do think that I manifest that which I envision. I'm kind of a hippie that way.

I've never seen more than maybe 90 seconds of an Oprah episode.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Reddit
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 03:02:40 pm »

I've never seen more than maybe 90 seconds of an Oprah episode.

Me neither. Do you think this is un-American, or something?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Reddit
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 05:01:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure I don't watch enough TV to be American. I make up for it by working in a planet-raping industry.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Reddit
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 06:21:54 pm »

That seems fair. I'll have to think of something like that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up