Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Braveheart  (Read 2249 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Braveheart
« on: February 27, 2011, 07:35:05 am »

Believe it or not, I had never seen this film before tonight.  Dang, it was awesome!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Braveheart
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:13:08 am »

On a semi-related note I just saw the original Mad Max for the first time, we had the sound turned down for most of it but I don't feel I missed much. Also, it just kind of ends? Either that or we drunkenly switched channels and didn't notice.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Braveheart
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 03:05:57 pm »

I have mixed feelings about Braveheart.  The story on the whole is pretty awesome.  However, in several of Gibson's films, he apparently wants to make things as egregiously violent as possible.  I get it, warfare in that era (or any era, natch) wasn't pretty.  But that doesn't mean I want to watch it for long stretches.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Braveheart
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 04:29:29 pm »

braveheart came out when i was in high school, so i was all about a movie where a dude gets his leg chopped off mid-thigh and you get to see the cross-section as he falls to the ground flailing and screaming in agony.  plus, you know, theres a bit of history and inspiration.  now, i still dig it, but all the brutality isnt as rad.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Braveheart
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 06:51:34 pm »

We had a guy here at work who was more or less on an exchange from the North Sea. Scottish guy, egomaniac, name was Alex Wallace. Of course we referred to him as Braveheart.

I'm finding more and more that I'm not able to get past egregious shittiness in my celebrities, be they sportsmen, musicians, or actors.

I just looked at IMDB, and the only movie I've seen him in since Braveheart is What Women Want, which was terrible.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Braveheart
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 09:12:00 pm »

I'm two years ahead of you with We Were Soldiers but only because I was stuck in Cincinnati.

Which, y'know, I think is a hella acceptable excuse.

That might be an acceptable excuse for just about anything.

Except, oddly, putting Ochocinco and TO on the same team.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Braveheart
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 09:45:36 pm »

I swore off Mel Gibson after Passion of the Christ.  But I felt I needed to watch Braveheart for Ray's sake.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Braveheart
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 05:32:46 am »

On a semi-related note I just saw the original Mad Max for the first time, we had the sound turned down for most of it but I don't feel I missed much. Also, it just kind of ends? Either that or we drunkenly switched channels and didn't notice.
It does just kind of end.  I've seen it a few times, and it does make more sense with repeated viewing.  The worst part is the horrible dubbing with american voices.  Really?  1970's Aussies were that hard for Yanks to understand?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Braveheart
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 03:07:03 pm »

noineen sivvinnies awzzies weh priddy difficuw fimose twunnehstin
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1]   Go Up