Thanks for the input guys.
AW is right, in research I've read the number one successful recruitment method for men os "being asked."
I do like the Mad Men angle in that I aim to have my mentors celebrate and explore "being a man." I've done quite a bit of research into successful male mentoring, and a lot of what makes a successful match between a young boy and a role model ties to accepting and celebrating the needs of young men as very different to young women. I am careful to make clear to the men I approach that I do not expect them to fill a nurturing role. It is remarkable how many of the men who take interest in my program come from a place of deep turmoil about what it means to be a man, which leads them to doubt their ability to be a mentor. The same men who grew up without a male role model are often the ones who most understand the need for male role models, which can be tricky. I get a lot of guys who basically have no confidence in themselves, which often leads to them talking themselves out of participating. Women on the other hand are confident in their capacity to support a youth, even with no personal experience, because it's such a concrete part of their social role. I work from a strength based model, where I determine a guy's pre-existing abilities and skills and assure him I can find a young man who will value acquiring the same. Once I have a man show interest in mentoring, I can get them over the hump if they're willing to admit their good at something. It's surprisingly hard to get people to admit that though.
As for the Christina Hendricks thing... my lady lumps have be a problem at community recruitment fairs. I have had multiple attempts at approaching random men and expressing interest in them get misread as flirtation. This leads to a lot of the wrong kind of interest, and a lot of wasted energy on my part. Nothing like the other agencies staff coming over saying all sarcastic/salacious "you sure had a lot of interest in your table!" It's pretty awkward in regard to the misread signals.