Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier  (Read 7326 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« on: March 11, 2011, 09:42:18 pm »

I suppose my money will technically look less like monopoly money now, in that it will soon be made of plastic.  Looks like we're going the same rout as Mexico and Australia.  Cool!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:18:03 pm »

That's pretty dang cool, actually.

No wait, it's the sign of the beast.  THE BEAST!!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:51:35 am »

My reaction was like Paul's:

"Hey, why didn't we think of that before? -- What, nooooo!"
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:37:21 am »

My immediate reaction is to be skeptical about the use of petroleum based money.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:13:10 am »

Well, I hope they keep taking the old stuff for a while or I'm going to have to rotate stock on my "just in case of Canada" stash. Yes, I'm serious. I have a stash of Canadian money so I can jump off a plane and get a burger at an A&W hassle free if I want.

What? A&W? Like the root beer brand? The franchise whose motto is, "All-American Food?" I have two of those in spitting distance of my house. My search also indicates there are at least 10 in Cali, too. Is there some super-secret Canadian A&W I don't know about that is completely different from the ones here?

Sorry, I'm just excessively freaked out by this. Too much, too much.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 01:58:17 am »

Oh man, in his bachelor days the only fast food joint my husband lived near was an A&W, hence he and his roommates stole many, many frosty mugs.  They are all packed in a box in the basement in hope that we one day have a home large enough for a bar to use them in.

Don't be afraid JL - we have lots of A&W's here, but I'm fairly certain their identical to American ones - Teenburgers, Mozza burgers, and nice onion rings in paper bags to remind you how much disgusting grease you're ingesting.  Unlike some other American chains such as Burger King, A&W doesn't seem to have any distinctly Canadian food items on the menu. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 02:28:51 am »

I have never been to an A&W. I should seek this out?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 02:37:55 am »

I have never been to an A&W. I should seek this out?

If you like root beer or prefer onion rings to fries, yes.  Otherwise, really any other burger franchise is just as good.  A&W has it's merits - they're big on nostalgia.  In the summer there are some days where you can get carhop service, which is pretty cute.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 04:15:48 am »

There are a few A&W's in this area.  They haven't been down here long.  But now that I think of it, I guess they started showing up maybe 20 years ago.  Still a Johnny come lately in my opinion.  I've never tried them.  I do love onion rings too, so maybe I'll stop the next time I see one.  There's none in my general vicinity.  They are more of a suburban thing round these parts.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 04:28:54 am »

i like the burgers at a&w, they remind me of wendy's and taste better (imho) but we don't have any here in the A
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 12:57:33 pm »

I've never been to one, I've just seen them around. We have a Cook-Out just up the street (which is maybe a local chain?), a Dairy Queen and a Burger king half a mile in the other direction, and a Sonic near my mom and dad's town house. I like ice cream, so usually when I'm in the mood for greasy food I favor Sonic. (DQ's ice cream is as good, but Sonic's real food is better.)

But I might check out the A&W just for kicks. It's about 20 minutes away, not far from the big fancy Target I go to occasionally.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 07:28:32 pm »

We don't have Sonic here.  Also no Harvey's, In and Out, White Castle, Pop eyes, Cinnebon or Taco Johns (that one might be a ND only chain, but we get the commercials).  There's a few more of the standard American chains that we don't get around here that I can't recall.   No Krispy Kreme in most of the country (Tim Hortons rules the market there).
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 07:54:41 pm »

Cinnabon is horrible. I mean, horrible in the way that their stuff is so irresistibly gooey, warm, and delicious, plus it is in, like, every mall around here and the smell permeates the corridors, drawing you in like a moth to a flame.

I think the prevalence of Cinnabons in the U.S. might explain the obesity epidemic, hands down.

Edit: Cinnabon (NSFW)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:09:38 pm by jay-ell »
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 08:22:32 pm »

I think the prevalence of Cinnabons in the U.S. might explain the obesity epidemic, hands down.

Cinnabon always makes me think of this here Onion article.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian "Funny Money" set to get a little funnier
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 10:42:39 pm »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm convinced that Sonic and Checkers don't actually exist, they merely run fake commercials constantly as some kind of huge Kaufmanesque joke.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up