President Obama appeared on ESPN this week, in a taped segment, running down his picks for the NCAA tournament. And there are apparently people saying "How can he spend time on something so frivolous, when there's all this stuff going on in Japan and Wisconsin and everything else?!" Those are probably the same people who complain about everything the president does, so I take it with a grain of salt.
But I've been thinking a lot lately about all the awfulness in the world, and whether it's somehow bad to try to enjoy my own life when something bad is happening somewhere else. And I've come to the conclusion that it's not. There has always been bad shit going down somewhere in the world or other; now that we are hyper-connected, we are more aware of it than ever before. If I spend time moping and not enjoying myself because of what's happened to Japan, I might as well kill myself right now. Because there will be another bad thing after that, somewhere, and another, and another. Not to say I don't feel badly for them, or that I won't send a few bucks to the Red Cross to try to alleviate the suffering there or elsewhere. But at the same time, I'm going to try to move on with my own stuff.