Are there any circumstances when you believe abortion is justified?
If so, who gets to decide when that is?
If you believe that the woman involved should have the ability to make the decision, then you're pro-choice, at least to an extent.
I think if a woman is raped, she should be allowed to have an abortion because she did not willfully engage in unprotected sex -- it's not her fault. I believe that if circumstances arise after conception that would cause the mother's life to be endangered by carrying the child to term, she and her doctor should consider carefully whether it's worth the risk to try. I do not think women should be allowed to have an abortion because she forgot to take a couple of pills, or because her boyfriend doesn't like the way condoms feel. Does that make me pro-choice? I don't think most of the staff at Planned Parenthood would think so.
I think the problem with the abortion debate in this country is that it confuses a moral issue with a political issue. One side is talking about the morality of the act of abortion, the other is talking about the role of government in our lives.
I think it's entirely possible to be both stringently anti-abortion and stringently pro-choice. You can believe that it's morally wrong to have an abortion. You can also consistently believe that it's not the role of the government to make that sort of moral decision for its citizens.
But the government *does* act as a moral agent at times. We as a society have decided that it's not OK for civilians to kill people. When a guy came into my grandparents house and killed them, we didn't say, "well, that was his moral choice." We said, "He's a bad person who can't be trusted in society, let's lock him up for the rest of his life."
Ending the life of an unborn child is, to me, as morally reprehensible as murdering an elderly person. Just because the child can't protest, fight back, or scream in terror doesn't mean that life has less value than anyone else's -- including his mother's. If a woman bears a child, takes him home, cares for him for two weeks, and then intentionally drowns him in the bathtub, will she not be prosecuted? It's her own child, after all, and her choice to decide if she wants to raise him. So it's a victimless crime, right?
We've decided as a nation that it's OK to kill certain people in certain circumstances, like during wartime and in self-defense. I'm OK with this gray area, and abortion certainly has some gray area itself. (This is why I would make exceptions for rape and endangerment of the mother's life.) Our government is still arguing about some of the other gray areas, but I'm opposed to killing people even in situations where others might say it's OK -- like capital punishment. If I'm opposed to letting the state kill the guy who murdered my grandmother, it stands to reason that I would not want women to be allowed to put their own children to death.
But unlike a lot of hard-right pro-choicers, I'm not naive enough to believe that I can enforce all my morals on others. Abortion is wrong, but the best remedy for that is to eliminate unintended pregnancies to the greatest extent possible. We can't keep people from having sex; we can't force women not to terminate their pregnancies if they are really determined to do so. The best we can do is make it so easy for women to not get unexpectedly pregnant that they never have to choose.
But I think that there are a few moral absolutes. Murder is wrong, and we as a nation have agreed on that and put into practice laws that punish people who ignore our agreed-upon moral code.
What we can't agree on is the exact definition of "murder" in all situations, and that's where we get into trouble with the abortion issue. I think it's murder, most pro-choicers don't; after that, we don't seem to have much to say to one another.